PDA

View Full Version : What the..!! with bones

kiwi dave
06-23-2006, 05:57 AM
I have just rigged a robot I am working on, and it all looks good until I turn the bones on. The the object becomes about a tenth of its actual size, and the bones are left at the right size floating in space.

I've only rigged a couple of simple characters before, and I've never seen this. Any clues?

Dave

Skinner3D
06-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Are you changing the rest length or the active length of the bones?

kiwi dave
06-23-2006, 02:22 PM
When I press r to rest the bones, or I turn bones on, I get the same result.

Attached is a screengrab. I've selected the object after the fact just so you can see it.

Dave

evenflcw
06-24-2006, 01:44 AM
There is no clear distinction between 'rest length' and 'active length'. I think what Skinner3D is trying to ask is whether you changed the rest length or the scale of the bone. It does indeed look like you've been scaling your bones when you should have changed their rest length instead. Furthermore, 'r' will only "Record Bone Rest Position" so it won't update the rest length.

To fix matters, open up the bones properties panel and copy and paste the current Z scale value into the rest length value for each bone, then set Z scale value to 1. The result should be that bones stay the same size but don't deform/scale the mesh.

t4d
06-24-2006, 02:24 AM
turn deformation OFF and see what happens
IF it goes back to the correct size you have a bone Scale issue
Go to the very top of the hierarchy and check the scale
then go down and check all the children
IS the Mesh parented to a null or anything ?

Maybe give us a pic of your Scene editor ( old one )

I've personally never seen that issue before But it seem like a Basic bone scale issue to me ???:stumped:

kiwi dave
06-25-2006, 03:39 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. It was indeed a scale bone issue. The very first bone that I had created had been scaled and that was the culprit.

Dave

kiwi dave
06-28-2006, 12:52 AM
For whats its worth, here is the final character - complete with unscaled bones! This was also made possible by the people who kindly responded to my tank track question.

Thanks for the help on this one.

Dave