PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Books

Andyjaggy
06-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I was just reading through the thread about the King Kong movie and everyones various opinions on books and I was wondering what is everyones favorite book(s)?

Mine would have to "Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" the movie was just okay but the books are the funniest things I have ever read. Although I am reading the "Enders Game" series right now and it is looking very promising.

DragonFist
06-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Mission Earth, Tolkien's stuff, much of Steven King's non-horror stuff, Dragon Lance (writing left something to be desired in my opinion but the characters were awesome, Terry Brooks (Especially Shanara series) Fear, BattleField Earth (Movie was NOT the book), anything Douglus Adams (agree on the movie, was okay but the books are way funnier) Eaters of the Dead (AKA Thirteenth Warrior), Timeline(again, Movie okay but not up to the book), Etc.

Not necessarily in that order.

BazC
06-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Tolkien, Stephen Donaldson, Terry Prachett, Isaac Asimov, Douglas Adams, Tom Sharpe, I loved the first book of the Dune series but got bored with the sequels.

hrgiger
06-23-2006, 03:18 AM
Kurt Vonnegut, anything Stephen King, Michael Crighton (with the exception of his latest book State of Fear which was awful) and the occasional Tom Clancy. I used to like Dean Koontz until I realized that every one of his books is the same. It always ends up being about some guy who falls in love with some girl who is being chased by some supernatural force down the pacific coast highway.

Tzan
06-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Lightwave 9 documentation manuals: A lightwaver falls in love with a modeling program, which supernaturally takes over his computer and chases him down the pacific coast highway.

KillMe
06-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Magician by Raymond E. Feist - brilliant novel and the follow ups silverthorn and a darkness at senathon -they aren't quite as good as the first one but the quality of it makes thats not surprising

WilliamVaughan
06-23-2006, 11:09 AM
The Little Prince. Must read book!

mattclary
06-23-2006, 12:33 PM
"Saga of the Pliocene Exile" series by Julian May (plus the other books releated to those), "Chronicles of Amber" series by Roger Zelazny, "Dragonriders of Pern" trilogy by Anne McCaffrey (note I said trilogy, not series, didn't care for the later books), pretty much all of Stephen King's books, The Elric books by Michael Moorcock.

Andyjaggy
06-23-2006, 01:05 PM
I need to try some Stephen King books, they seem to be a favorite around these parts.

Jim_C
06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Any Tom Robbins.

tonypete
06-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Don't forget Alan Dean Foster. He hasn't done much lately, but his books are light, funny and highly imaginative.

Robert A. Heinlein (Starship Troopers), Philip K. Dick (Blade Runner) and H.G. Wells also top my list.

DMarkwick
06-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Eon by Greg Bear. Superb science fiction, staggering concepts, great characterizations, great all-round talents used for an hugely imaginative story.

Also it's sequel, Eternity.

Dodgy
06-23-2006, 03:39 PM
"Saga of the Pliocene Exile" series by Julian May (plus the other books releated to those)
This was my first big series that I loved after LOTR.
I went through a lotta Sci fi and detective novels at school, inc Sherlock Holmes and a host of Dr Who books (I have like 70 or so Who books at home and the complete SH).
All Terry Pratchett, Fire and hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones, kids book but amazing. Bizarrely I find her kids books more sophisticated than her adult books. Tom Holt, though he can meander a bit. The Wheel of time series till about 9 where the author loses the plot! I could barely keep the main characters in focus, and then he just keeps piling more and more inconsequential stuff in. Keep to the point man!

BeeVee
06-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Iain (M) Banks. Incredible work, both in pretty hard sci-fi and contemporary fiction.

B

Skinner3D
06-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Mine would have to "Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" the movie was just okay but the books are the funniest things I have ever read. Although I am reading the "Enders Game" series right now and it is looking very promising.
:agree: :thumbsup: Definately have the same tastes. Ender's Game is my favorite book, next come Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets. Don't like the books about when he is an adult. After those comes Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and then after that just about any Sci-Fi

oDDity
06-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Having read the entire discworld series (all 34 books) I'd have to say that Terry Prachett wins by sheer weight of numbers.
ALso have to mention Terry Goodkind, since Wizard's First Rule is the best fantasy novel ever IMO, you all owe it to yourselves to read that one.
Stephen King is also a masterly storyteller of course, mainly because of his great ability to invent believable characters and give them equally believable dialogue.
I've read far more non fiction than fiction though, but I guess this thread is really about novelists.

ShawnStovall
06-23-2006, 06:17 PM
The Little Prince. Must read book!

My mom is your new best friend.:D She thought she would never find anyone else who likes that book.

So far my favorite book is "Inside LightWave [8]".:D

jevinstudios
06-23-2006, 06:24 PM
dahlgren, by samuel r. delany.

gerry_g
06-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Anything by Flan OBrian

Signal to Noise
06-23-2006, 10:17 PM
My all-(up to this)-time favorite book would have to be a little known one by a well-known author: Lord of Darkness by Robert Silverberg. It was a departure for Silverberg who is known for his Majipoor Chronicles series (Lord Valentine's Castle et al.). The book is his foray into historical fiction, loosely based on real events. Lord of Darkness is about a young british sailor/pirate who gets captured by the Portugese and sent as a slave into Africa. There he rises to become a cannibal lord. Awesome stuff!

In addition to Silverberg I also enjoy the majority of works by these authors (of which I read particular novels more than once):

Piers Anthony, Iain Banks, Philip K. Dick, Stephen R. Donaldson (esp. The Gap series!), Neil Gaiman, William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, and Hunter S. Thompson.

GandB
06-23-2006, 10:54 PM
The original DragonLance series; topping that set is The Legend of Huma (Richard A. Knaak). Magic Kindom for Sale: Sold (Terry Brooks), and the following books in the series. Almost anything and everything Conan; although I have a select group of authors that I will buy without hesitation (such as Robert Jordan; and of course the big man himself, R.E.H.); I enjoyed BRan Mak Morn as well. Read plenty of Stephen King, except I never got through the first Gunslinger book. Ender's Game was great, but I have yet to read the next one (heard it was a let-down). Starship Troopers was way better than the movie (read it when I was deployed), and produced some relevant ideas/opinions IMO.

Good old H.P. Lovecraft as well. I'm sure others will come to mind later, but if I had to pick one character/series...it's Conan all the way.:)

-Keith

ercaxus
06-24-2006, 02:24 AM
Dragonlance stuff by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman:
Dragonlance Chronicles
Dragonlance Legends
Dragonlance - Dragons of Summer Flames (actually chronicles)
Dragonlance War of Souls trilogy if you want more.

And yes, Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur(I will read it again hopefully one day soon) by Richard A. Knaak :)

Also Deathgate Cycle by Weis and Hickman.

Everyone should read Silmarillion and listen to Blind Guardian's Nightfall(warning: kinda noisy sometimes). Good luck with names.

Douglas Adams is the man !!! Hitchhiker movie wasn't that great, but read everything with his name on it.

DogBoy
06-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Iain (M) Banks. Incredible work, both in pretty hard sci-fi and contemporary fiction.

B

Yeah, I like Banks. Especially his eccentric battlecruisers, like "poke it with a big stick" :D.

I'd aslo agree on Wynne Jones' kids books. Howls Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky are among my faves of hers.

Jon Courtney Grimwoods Pasha Series (Kinda cyberpunk set in a world where the Ottoman Empire is in power). Touches of Banks' with child soldiers being led into atrocities by psychotic AIs.

Alex Besher Mir series made giggle. Virtual worlds mixed with Eastern phiilosophy: Characters firewall their chakras against psychic hacking.

hrgiger
06-24-2006, 06:50 AM
When I was younger I remember enjoying both the Xanth series by Piers Anthony as well as the Robotech series.

Right now my current recreational book is 3D Math Primer for graphics and game development. I guess you could say I'm understanding about 3.14159265% of it, but enjoying it nonetheless.

Tzalaran
06-25-2006, 09:26 AM
In no particular order:

Star of the Guardians series by Margret Weis (great galactic fantasy)
Dune series by Frank Herbert (great story and political commentary)
Ender series (already mentioned)
LotR by Tolkein (founded the fantasy genre)
The Taltos series by Stephen Brust (great story, awesome characters)
Sworddancer series by Jennifer Roberson (great story and characters, told in first person narrative and very muchan inspiration behind the novel/screenplay i'm writing. my wife turned me on to this series.)
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (great beginning, has slowed down significantly in later books, but still a talented writer)
Battlefield Earth (i didn't care for mission earth series, but this stand alone novel was good)
Paradise Lost by Milton (very hard to read because of the old english used, but a great tale of the fallen angel's from their own perspective.)
The odessy by Homer (great story, timeless subject matter)
The Republic by Plato (difficult read, but very insightful)
anything by R.A. Salvatore.

i'll close it off there, as there are many others i could go on about...

blabberlicious
06-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Phantom Toolbooth
Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula LeGuinne (Harry Potter eat my shorts!)
Any story Illustated by either Heath Robinson (Professor Brainstorm) or Mervyn Peake (Captain Slaughterboard).

robk
06-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Not Scince fictiony at all but Dick Francis novels are good light reading.
Mind you story line is just about always the same (hero gets beat up, hero recovers to a certain point, hero gets beaten again, at end of book hero just about gets beaten but triumphs after all and somewhere along the way the hero meets the girl but at the end we are never quite sure if he gets her) but the fun is getting there.

Panikos
06-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Reminds me of Baywatch

All stories the last 30-40 years is about silikone females in danger, Mr President comes to rescue them with a F-16

:D