PDA

View Full Version : TMPGEnc a resource hog?

Mediaworx
06-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm encoding some AVI's to MPG using TMPGEnc and I can't help but notice what a hog this thing is. I've never really noticed it before because I usually let 'er rip over night when I'm not around. It's using like 65 - 85% CPU. Is this normal? We've been having some issues lately so I think it might be my machine.

Jim_C
06-22-2006, 04:28 PM
You can set how much resource it uses (Priority). If it is using more than you would like, drop it down a setting.

The higher the cpu % the faster it renders.

65-85 is not high.
If I am not doing anything else on the computer, I want mine at 100%.

ScorpioProd
06-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Exactly Jim, if it's running less than 100% I'm wasting time.

You really should let TMPGEnc run undisturbed by other things.

Also, if you wanna talk resource hog... Be sure to kill winrtme before starting your TMPGEnc encoding! That is wasting a chunk of cycles that definately add up. It's a shame Newtek never figured out a way to turn that off when you don't need it.

Mediaworx
06-24-2006, 06:38 AM
I did not know that. Makes sense though. I checked alot of the settings and couldn't find where to adjust CPU useage.

Jim_C
06-24-2006, 07:16 AM
If you are using 3.0 It is the tab labeled 'Encoder Setting' at the bottom after you push the big 'Encode' button at the top. Labeled 'Task Priority'.

If you are using the 3.0 Batch Encoder it is under 'Option' at the top. Same if you are using 2.5.

You can also just open your Task Manager and control it there after the encode has started.

Mediaworx
06-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys

Ty Catt
06-24-2006, 10:35 AM
We uses TIMARO DVR at work to encode with. Real time, at a decent price, easy to use, can only be used with one computer at a time though, due to dongle key.

Can't see why anyone bothers with MPEG render softwares?...

Jim_C
06-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Can't see why anyone bothers with MPEG render softwares?...

One word... Quality. Real time recorders can't get as high of a quality as multipass software renders.

If real time recorders could match software, Hollywood would be doing all their DVDs using real time recorders also, but they don't.