PDA

View Full Version : Wine Estate: Help needed

Vujaka
06-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Hi
I am faced with a high possibility of doing a project, which will include a walkthrough of a new Wine Estate. Ill have to completely build a landscape together with scrubs and bushes, grass and vines. A whole bunch of grapevines. Thereís a mountain and a river running thought this piece of land. Also there will be 50 little houses, each with their little piece of land.

I have never had to do vegetation to this extend in lw, and I would really like to stick with lw to do it. My plea for help is simply, what would I need to get the 4 min fly trough done?
A few things I have thought of doing:
I want to get a nice strong dual dual machine to replace this one Iím posting from, since I am thinking of using it as a render node.

Regarding the vegetation would it be useful to get the LW 9 upgrade + Vue? It just seems as if Vue is clunky with Lw, and many people are complaining? Possibility of composoting comes to mind with DFX. Or in your experience is it better to go with objects from e.g. Dosch and just HD Instance them? Iím looking for renders that will still look good whilst not taking days to complete.

I am asking many questions but I feel I donít want to mess up this project if I get it. I know I can do this; I just donít have as much experience at building something so huge with plants.

MooseDog
06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
for vue integration, chk this out:

vue <->lw (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11227)

hd instance takes care of the lack of instancing for you and is a fairly easy learning curve, plus keepign everything in one package. that author himself warns though that his volumetric rendering engine is not as fast as pure lw.

the lw9 videos promise good things for rendering tons of polys as well:

lw 9 video demos (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_demos.php)

if you choose to copy and paste geometry w/in layout.

i've never used world machine, but i understand the learning curve is quite steep.

sounds like a cool-***** project. good luck:thumbsup:

Vujaka
06-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Har har yeay I am looking forward to this project even though Im suffering from the scared sh!tl!ss sindrome!
I'll look into HD Instance, Ihave heard some complain about Vue's render speeds in any case.

Regarding my studio setup, do you have any insights? I was thinking keep my current machine as a render machine. I could then purchase a stronger machine for the initial work which could render at night.

Any tips? Thanks for the advice Moosedog!