PDA

View Full Version : New Engine for Camera Viewport or Viper replacement

Wickster
06-21-2006, 07:56 PM
How about a Realtime GI to replace Viper? or a viewport type for the camera viewport?

http://www.fantasylab.com/newPages/rtgi.html

I was reading up on this and I thought...This would be awesome if Lightwave has a preview option using this engine. I don't think it's faking GI, It looks pretty real real-time to me.

Just imagine having viper looking like that, imagine our preview movies looking close to final GI render. I mean having this for Viper would be really, if its possible at all imagine an option in Layout to shade your camera view with this...wow!

According to the site, the engine is up for grabs (licensing). So I guess it depends on how much the guy charges. (probably a lot) :(

Think you might want to use the Fantasy Engine or any of its technology in you next product? Contact us at [email protected]

How bout it NT?

RedBull
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Personally i'd rather NT spent time on their actual implentation of radiosity,
rather than introduce a realtime game based GPU version, for previews.

I think LW should have more realtime GPU feedback though,
reflections etc... Realtime previews are cool, but i don't make many game models... I need production prooven GI, not game engine hacks.

**** with FPrime i almost have REAL realtime Monte Carlo, or Interpolated Radiosity.... So i'd prefer that to continue it's speedups.

Also what is the "Fantasy" game engine? (i've never heard of it)
does anything well known use it?

If you think that's impressive...... Have you seen the DirectX10 demos
which offer the same thing?

And i don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, or your feature request.
I'd just need to know more, before i was happy to give my full support.. :)

Wickster
06-22-2006, 09:34 PM
No, Prob. :)

Fantasy Lab engine is a new engine. Instead of faking GI it actually is real-time GI. I mean the its not the best looking display out there but there doesn't seem tot be much hack on it i think. Somebody explained it to be an actual Vertex level GI instead of the regular GI we know.

It most certainly not a replacement for FPrime or LW's native renders but I'm hoping it to be a great Viper replacement or camera view shading option. I thought FPrime was meant to be a "GI" previewer, but it centainly turned into a powerful LW stand alone GI renderer. So I think this would actually be a great "True-GI" previewer. Viper is great for surface previews, but imagine the potential of having a real-time "GI preview" before you fire up FPrime or press F9 to render a full GI scene.

creativecontrol
06-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't know if it's possible but I'd sure like to see some of the harware power being used in final rendering. If it can calculate global lighting that fast, can those results be used in the final render somhow? Also, perhaps the GPU could take over some particle/volume rendering calculations. Hypervoxels is one of the most time consuming things for me. Just a thought...

Wickster
06-23-2006, 12:18 PM
nVidia's Gelato is suppose to have done that, render with GPU support. However, its not very good nor very fast from what I've been reading from people who have seen or used it on another app. Physx is another good idea of how the Physx processor onboard an nVidia card help calculate dynamics on games. It woud also be great if we get realtime particle and dynamic calculations without having to recalculate everytime we edit something.

As far as I know only XSI has a built in Physx engine so it has some sort of real-time dynamics. It was pretty sweet to see someone playing jenga inside XSI without having to recalcuate all the time.