PDA

View Full Version : Hexagon programmer without job?

dballesg
06-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi,

I just read this on eovia.net website:

http://www.eovia3d.net/showthread.php?t=8347

Looks like he doesn't work anymore for Eovia, so there is an unployeed programmer with knowledge of Windows, Mac and modelling tools?

His new site:

http://www.polyloop.com/

He would be an interesting addition to the newtek team? ;)

What do you think jay? ;)

Best regards,
David

Intuition
06-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Doh, poor guy. Is this what happens when they sell software for so cheap?

BazC
06-22-2006, 03:41 AM
Thomas isn't a programmer, he designed the interface and icons and I think he wrote the manual for Hexagon.

Captain Obvious
06-22-2006, 07:20 AM
he designed the interface and icons
Please don't hire him! :(

(What can I say? I just don't like Hexagon...)

Any idea why he got laid off? Or did he just quit?

KiteGlider
06-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Moderator, please kill this thread, nothing to do with LW

BazC
06-22-2006, 07:40 AM

I haven't got the inside story but he was working for Eovia in France, Daz is in America. Maybe Daz isn't offering jobs to all old Eovia empoyees or maybe he just didn't want to move.

Captain Obvious
06-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Maybe Daz isn't offering jobs to all old Eovia empoyees
I find the sheer stupidity of such a move to be so great that it can't be the reason! :p

Para
06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
...he designed the interface...

You mean copied modo?

...that wasn't very professional, sorry.

wacom
06-22-2006, 12:05 PM
You mean blender or XSI or...

Please...there are a lot of inovative GUI design ideas that everyone takes from. Do you refuse to use OS X or XP because they took from others?

andywright
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Moderator, please kill this thread, nothing to do with LW

I agree !

Thomas is a very beneficial to the Hexagon / Carrara community, providing both a forum and advanced support in a friendly manner and promoting a friendly learning environment. Some of the comments on here are distasteful for those of us who benefit from his help. :thumbsdow

As to which is the better software, I have feet in both camps, and I will say here, both have good points and both have bad points, and some is down to personal taste or familiarity...but isn't that the nature of the beast :rolleyes:

Captain Obvious
06-22-2006, 03:45 PM
You mean copied modo?

...that wasn't very professional, sorry.
Hexagon is nothing like modo, in any way shape or form.

Some of the comments on here are distasteful for those of us who benefit from his help.
Just so you don't get any ideas about my post: I only meant to say that I don't personally like it, and that I wouldn't want Lightwave to be very similar to it. Personal tastes, perhaps, but I just don't like it much myself.

dballesg
06-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Um Captain Obvious, have you ever tried to programming a program?

If the answer is yes, I think you must know how difficult it is find a programmer that works on Mac and Windows, and much more that knows about geometry modelling programming. You know, differential equations and that stuff I am sure you are a master on them.

Anyhow I misunderstood the post where he said that he was looking to a new job, so I assumed that he was one of the programmers, sorry for my mistake, and thanks a lot to BazC to correct me.

I agree with andywright about the distasteful comments. Thamas helps a lot on the hexagon comunity.

To KiteGlider, please do a constructive comment or do not do it, or if you are going to do a bad one, at least gave your reasons, if you dont want to read what is posted here, you have many other posts where share your knowledge.

My original post I tried to do it funny, because I thought that if he was without job and he was a programmer, could be an interesting addition to the team.

Sure if it was Ron Fedkiw or Jos Stam the ones looking for a job you will be screaming here, hire them, hire them!! :D

My post was trying to provide to Newtek an information that maybe was useful. As always I will make every time I think it can helps to the development or improvement of LightWave.

Best regards,
David

Captain Obvious
06-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Um Captain Obvious, have you ever tried to programming a program?
Oh, yeah, lots of 'em. Mostly in BASIC for my TI-83, though... :p

Gus 512
06-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I aggree also,With andy and Dballesq, Thomas also is great and generous person, and probably could help Newtek about edge modeliing may be?????

Lecaramel
06-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Hi,

Thomas Roussel here ;)

Someone gave me this thread url, then, I'll do some answers.

To clarify, Eovia Europe sell it's US division to DAZ, with Hexagon (Eovia Europe developpment) and Carrara (Eovia US/Corp developpment). DAZ kept the all US team, but anyone from Eovia Europe (where I was). I can't tell you why I'm no more an Eovia Europe member for various reasons, as you can may imagine. But I won't be so long jobless...

Captain Obvious: hum, I know this nickname :)... well, it's not because -you- don't like Hexagon that you have to say that. It's not because I don't like Lightwave that I think it's a bad product. I just don't like the UI and workflow, but I know that it's a very strong product, which produce fabulous results and I know a lot of LW users to confirm that. And if a LW developper had knock at Eovia's door, I'm sure we had hired him.

BazC: to be complete: I worked on Hexagon UI, icons, workflow, tools descriptions, developpment (well, not coding, helping developpers with the integration), documentation, betatesting managment & product content. I also had other various tasks at Eovia.

Para: it's your comment which is not very professional. what in Hexagon have been copied from Modo? hey, the dark color? Then, Modo copied that from who? Zbrush?, Combustion? Hexagon is based on Amapi, which is a 14 years old software, also with a black color. And if it's not UI, then, what, features? Most of them has been coded a lot before Modo. Do you think developping a software is a 2 weeks job? To be honnest, I'm currelntly learning Modo myself...

I'm sorry if my comment looks a little bit "agressive", which is not what I want to do (English isn't my native language...) but I rode too much things about Hexagon since the DAZ aquisition and seeing my "baby" at $1.99 on DAZ webstore didn't help a lot.
But please remeber that their is enough 3D software, from free to expensive, for everybody, for all need, for all tests. It's not because someone like one of them that it's not a good software... or because you love it that it is a good one ;)

And thaks for the others for the support! :thumbsup:
I'm currently swaping my personnal website, Eovia3D.net to Polyloop.net and open it to other softwares, for those of you who want to show what is -real- 3D to thers ;)

Thanks!
Thomas

PS: Go go go LW9 team!

BazC
06-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Hi Thomas! :D Hope things are going well for you! :thumbsup:

dballesg
06-23-2006, 03:13 AM
Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your post, and I am sorry for any misundersttod I can caused! :(

Best regards,
David

Lecaramel
06-23-2006, 05:26 AM
BazC: yes, it goes :)

dballesg: don't be sorry for other words ;)

Captain Obvious
06-23-2006, 06:17 AM
Captain Obvious: hum, I know this nickname :)... well, it's not because -you- don't like Hexagon that you have to say that. It's not because I don't like Lightwave that I think it's a bad product. I just don't like the UI and workflow, but I know that it's a very strong product, which produce fabulous results and I know a lot of LW users to confirm that. And if a LW developper had knock at Eovia's door, I'm sure we had hired him.
Alrighty then! :thumbsup:

Even though I didn't like Hexagon, I still wish you the very best with whatever project you get involved with next.

Nemoid
06-30-2006, 01:54 AM
hey i like some concepts you applied in the UI of Hexagon for sure it is a good modelling app.and i like how certain tasks are actually steamlined there.
i was happy buying it for 1.99 but obviously i'm not happy you lost your job at all.
hey maybe if you don't find a job in Lw team you could find it in Lux team, who knows?:)

sculptactive
06-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Thomas.
Thanks for all the help you have given the community.

cresshead
07-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Thomas, looking forward to any tutorial videos/dvd's etc you'll make for hexagon as i added it from the daz3d sale...mind you i was already looking at it before the sale...mainly for displacement painting and exporting to 3dsmax8
to rig and animate.

good luck will drop by your site and see what it hoas once it's re launched

cheers

steve g