PDA

View Full Version : When can we see this in LW???

Wickster
06-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Realtime Global Illumination

http://www.fantasylab.com/newPages/rtgi.html

This would just rock inside Lightwave's Engine.

It might be impossible but I'll be waiting. :)

KillMe
06-21-2006, 05:28 PM
oooooohhhhhhhhh shiny - me want - me want

Triple G
06-21-2006, 05:36 PM
It's certainly cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. There's many more useful things I'd rather see in Lightwave first.

oDDity
06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
New game engines fake a lot of stuff, and it looks cool, but the quailty is not good enough for a CG render engine.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2006, 06:44 PM
New game engines fake a lot of stuff, and it looks cool, but the quailty is not good enough for a CG render engine.
I think the "subpar" quality is largely due to it being a technical demo with limited artistic merits. For example, the sun animation looks poor because the sunlight is too weak and the shadows too bright, not because the GI engine is bad. It doesn't really fake all that much. It's not precalculated, and it doesn't use spherical harmonics, ambient occlusion or anything such. It's real GI, as far as I've understood it. But it might be vertex-based GI, or something, to speed things up. I doubt it's per-pixel sampling. I do not think this engine will reach the same quality level as a real software renderer. It has all the limitations of normal OpenGL or D3D. A max of 2k or sometimes 4k texture maps pretty much precludes it from final render use in most serious studios.

But having this in a viewport? OH YES BABY!

Wickster
06-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I wasn't hoping for this as a renderer. as Captian Obvious pointed out it would just change the way we work seeing this in the viewport (Camera view). Even Replacing Viper with this would be great. Just imagine how cool our Open GL previews would be. This has a lot potential and I think a lot of Lightwave users can benefit from this.

Wickster
06-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Heck it even has this on it:

More Information

Think you might want to use the Fantasy Engine or any of its technology in you next product? Contact us at [email protected]

hmmm I think I'll post this on the Feature Request forum. (wishful thinking)

ercaxus
06-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Take a look at this guys. Nothing related to GI but interesting technology. Qsplat (http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/qsplat/) I saw it at Sharp Construct forums. Download the demo and test it. It's cool to be able to real time rotate a super heavy model in software acceleration mode, which I haven't seen since nVidia took over the world.

oDDity
06-22-2006, 02:32 AM
IT still wouldn't work though, it's nowhere near accurate enough to set up a radiosity scene. You'd never rely on this do do it, so other than looking kewl, I'm not sure what the point is. I never use open GL to guage anything in my scene, it may as well just be a wireframe view.

Bog
06-22-2006, 03:43 AM
What oDDity said. Got much more important fish that I'd like the NT Dev Team to be fryin'. If I need to see what my GI looks like in realtime, there's the FPrime button right there... ;)

erikals
06-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Holy Macaroni, see some artifacts here and there, but Realtime? Wow.

nerdyguy227
06-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I hope they put this on the list...but not too high

erikals
06-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Take a look at this guys. Nothing related to GI but interesting technology. Qsplat (http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/qsplat/) I saw it at Sharp Construct forums. Download the demo and test it. It's cool to be able to real time rotate a super heavy model in software acceleration mode, which I haven't seen since nVidia took over the world.

That's quite neat actually, I'd be cool if LW had something like this. It would make working with high-res scenes/models for e.g. film much easier. Neat.

loki74
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I agree that this would not be up to par for full on GI applications, ie feature films etc... but ****, the speed thing is what really gets me.

I dont know much anything about how GI works, but I wonder if there is a way to do a hybrid implementation of this and traditional GI, to get satisfactory realism at shorter rendertimes. I'm not sure if this is possible or not but if it is, that would be so cool, and definately worthwhile for LW to have.