PDA

View Full Version : Any volunteers?

stang1
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I am looking for someone to help me re-create something I saw on a recent flight over the Pacific ocean -- a UFO of sorts, as crazy as that may sound...
This would be a very short animation, and very simple for anybody with any cloud and smoke effects experience. I have no 3D animation experience myself.
Whoever creates this animation for me can watermark their name all over it if they want, and of course keep the rights to it.
If this sounds interesting to anybody, then please respond. Thank you!

Skinner3D
06-20-2006, 07:17 PM
:stumped: What type of smoke effects are you looking for? For that matter what is the scene supposed to look like.

loki74
06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
If you want to have large scale turbulent smoke effects, ie, rising from a recently exploded building, this can be done with HV's; there are many tutorials... it wouldnt be worth it to have someone do this for you, because you could do it so easily yourself

If you want small scale, laminar smoke effects, such as smoke rising from a cigarrette, expect to pay some amount of money for a plugin to solve the system. ...Unless, of course, you or someone you know is well versed in solving partial differential equations on a 3D grid structure, as well as programming and could write a plugin :D I don't know if anyone who owns RealFlow would be willing to do this, as it means a fairly big time investment. But hey, maybe I'm wrong!

Skinner3D
06-20-2006, 07:41 PM
If you want to have large scale turbulent smoke effects, ie, rising from a recently exploded building, this can be done with HV's; there are many tutorials... it wouldnt be worth it to have someone do this for you, because you could do it so easily yourself

:i_agree: Look up a couple of tutorials on HyperVoxels and you will be working with them in no time. VIPER will be your best friend for this (unless you have FPrime). Once you get it to look sort of right in VIPER expect long render times and a bit of tweaking. They look good once you have gotten the hang of them. Is there any other part of this scene that you would like info on?:D

gjjackson
06-20-2006, 07:44 PM
The first thing needed would be some sort of storyboard to see what visualizations you require.

stang1
06-21-2006, 12:46 AM
OK... the airplane that I was in was above the clouds, so the bottom of the scene would be the tops of dense white clouds and above that is just pure blue sky. I guess this part doesn't even have to be done in 3D, a static shot of this as a background for the animation would suffice.

Now on to the meat of what I am looking for: Imagine a pipe or tube bent into the shape of a 2D parabola (I can provide the top view of the exact shape). And also imagine that this tube is invisible, closed on both ends, and is full of this very black, sooty-looking smoke... too thick to see through. The smoke is swirling around (turbulent motion) inside of this invisible, parabolic tube... with the swirls themselves traveling very slowly from the bend in the middle of the tube towards the ends of the tube.
Furthermore, imagine that this invisible tube full of smoke is sitting on an invisible, spinning toy top or gyroscope. And the entire top is wobbling slightly in a motion and speed as a top does when it is just starting to slow down (starting to lose its stability). Except that unlike a slowing down top, the speed and motion of this wobble remains constant throughout the animation.
Also, if it was a gyroscope that the tube was sitting on, then it would be affixed to the outer part of the gyroscope (as opposed to the spinning flywheel part) as to inherit the wobble but not the spin. In other words, the vertex of the parabola that this tube is shaped to would stay pointing in a fixed direction as it wobbles.
The camera view for this animation would be mostly from the side (so that the vertex of the parabola is pointing to the left as seen by the camera) and just slighly from above.
An optional final touch would be to move the camera at a steady rate left of the object, while keeping the camera pointed at it -- To simulate my view from the airplane as I was flying past it.

How's that for a mental image of what I am looking to get? :D Simple enough to create this effect, for someone who knows what they are doing? :stumped:

Skinner3D
06-21-2006, 06:07 AM
:gotpics: From what you have described all you need to do is create a disk and extrude in to a parabolic shape. Use either railbevel or do it by hand, it is not hard. Flip the polygons inward so that the object become invisible ish, set the surface of the object to be full transparency with no reflection, specularity, or gloss. You might want to set the diffuse down as well. Use that object in Layout with a particle emitter and hard object dynamics. You may have to use real flow for the motion of the smoke.

stang1
06-21-2006, 12:59 PM
I thought it would be simple enough to do, but I don't have any experience whatsoever with 3D animation software... nor do I own any such software to play with. That is why I came here for volunteers.

I chose the LightWave community as the place to ask because I am an old fan of the Amiga computer, and as you may recall (depending on your age) LightWave started out in a product by NewTek called the Video Toaster, which was built around the Amiga 2000 computer. I had an Amiga 500 computer at the time, but I had always dreamed of having a Video Toaster to play with!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Toaster

Anyways, it would be free publicity for whoever can help me with this. I would submit the animation to UFO websites along with the report of my sighting, and the animator can watermark or superimpose their name onto the animation itself for everyone to see.

nerdyguy227
06-22-2006, 05:29 PM
is this wobble motion more like a penny drop or a spiral? (both with no y axes rotation)

stang1
06-22-2006, 07:54 PM
For an example, check out this interactive animation:

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/interactivemaths/michaelspages/Spin.htm

And set the "Frame-Rate" slider to the midway point. At least this gives the exact speed I am looking for when viewed on my computer (a faster computer may render it faster).

My parabolically-bent, invisible tube full of smoke would be sitting on the plane which is defined by the top of this top... having the same EXACT circular tilting motion as seen here. Its just that the tube itself would NOT rotate around the top's vertical axis, as the red reference point is doing in this animation -- the tube's vertex would always remain pointing to the left.

The wobble motion I am looking for is basically the first 1 second of watching this, before the top dips down too far.