PDA

View Full Version : Expand/Explode

kdennis
06-20-2006, 03:36 PM
How do I expand/Explode a ball with 20 sides so that each side travels away from the center of the ball along its own relative path?
I 've already made the ball so that each of the 20 sides is its own layer in modeler.

T-Light
06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Scratch that, hadn't read you post correctly. Was going to suggest c4, but not sure if that will handle 0 gravity.

You could check, Go to www.flay.com for details

kdennis
06-20-2006, 03:52 PM
hate to be a pain but.... anything simpler
I am only an occassional LW user and have never used lscript

T-Light
06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
You don't need to know lscript to use c4 detonate :)

You could also hand animate your pieces in layout. An easy way to do it would be to create another 20 piece ball the same size as your original 20 layer ball (make this one a single object).

Load the ball into layout. Work out how many frames of animation you need (let's say 120 for 4 seconds of NTSC animation). Go to frame 120 and change the size of your ball to 4 times on each axis (x y and z). Now load in your original 20 layer object. Again go to frame 120 and this time move each individual layer to the centre of each piece of your expanded single ball.

When your done, erase your single large ball.

There's got to be easier automatic ways of doing this, but if you can follow the above, it should be a fairly simple way of achieving what you need :)

Silkrooster
06-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Do you know if c4 has been updated. The last I heard it did not work with version 8 and up of lightwave. Of couse that was awhile ago.
Silk

kdennis
06-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks T-Light
I'll Try it

I was trying to make paths in modeler that each piece could follow.
I got the (paths) lined up correctly and imported them to lightwave but how do I get the pieces to follow the path.
To be honest I'm not sure if I made the paths correctly, they are just two point pologons that pass throught the center of the ball matching the angle of each side. How do I convert the 2 point pollys to paths?