PDA

View Full Version : custom node?

lilrayray77
06-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Anyone know if it is possible to create a sort of custom node? I havent dug all that deep into the nodes yet so if there is one I don't know about it.

Lightwolf
06-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to create a sort of custom node?
You mean except by coding one using the SDK?
What exactly should it do? Expressions?

Cheers,
Mike

lilrayray77
06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Hey just saw in the dev section "node creation". I just think it would be cool to play around with it and see what sort of things you could come up with. Perhps it is possible create a node dedicated to hair creation (through scripting)?

ShawnStovall
06-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I know it is possible in C# but I don't know about LScript.

DogBoy
06-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Perhps it is possible create a node dedicated to hair creation (through scripting)?

Sort of like a Magic-Bevel node? take this poly, draw it out at this vector, every n instances offset it's heading by n degrees?

My feeling is that that is too complex for a node. What you would need is a plugin that can interact with a) the surface nodal tree, to assign spec, tip and root coloration etc. and b) the nodal displacement tree to draw out those poly strands.

Something like SasquatchNODAL or Shave and a Nodal Haircut or even Shave your NOODLE (Joe/Steve just send me a free copy if you want to use the name :hey: )

evenflcw
06-21-2006, 04:09 AM
We already know that procedurals can warp the mesh in hard-to-believable ways. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible then to create a procedural that is defined by a set of guide curves (regular LW splines). Probably tricky, but surely not impossible. Then again I don't know jack about nodal or procedurals.

EDIT: If we could create group nodes or whatever this would also enable us to create custom nodes of sort. They wouldn't enable us to create anything that was previously impossible, but they'd certainly help streamline the use of often used node hierarchies.

lilrayray77
06-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Do you think it is possible to create a plugin, not a node, that controls and creates nodes according to information you input in the plugin's window. For example, you could select hair, and it would create the procedural, the spot info, and the vector nodes. Then you could choose hair thickness and what not and it would change the nodes accordingly. I think someting like that would be more appealing to many people.