PDA

View Full Version : never have i done this

jmc522
05-31-2003, 05:01 PM
i've never done this, but I've used lightwave since the only way to get it was have the toaster as the dongle - not that the toaster for the amiga wasn't something - anyway i'm looking for plug-ns for lightwave 6.5 - specifically animation i/o so i can output dv avi's and flash and animated gifs straight from lightwave rather than after effects - anyone know if such a thing exits - thanks - light.

Hiraghm
06-01-2003, 05:19 AM
Ah... you didn't need to use the poll function to ask this :)

I only started using LW with version 7, so I don't know if 6.5 has the capability or not, but in your render options you can select to output straight to .avi, and I just created an animation using the divx 5.0 codec. I don't know if .gif is an option or not under animation, but you can output a series of gif frames and get one of several gif animation tools for free or very little off the web.

Bionic Antboy
06-01-2003, 10:09 AM
jmc522

Although LW can output animation files (it's there in the Render Options panel), I'd recommend sticking with outputting image sequences.

If you have a long render crash on you 3/4 of the way through, the animation file can be messed up, and you'd have to start from scratch. If it crashes on an image sequence, you only have to render from the crashed frame.

That being said, LW has a solid renderer, but I always use sequences, and convert in After Effects. It converts to animation files very quickly, plus, with all the extra compositing tools it offers, you can tweak things to give your animation that extra "kick" very easily.

BTW, for Flash you'll need an extra plug-in, such as Swift3D ( http://www.swift3d.com ) or Flicker ( www.thirdwishsoftware.com ). SInce we use LW in a production environment with the VT, I've never had to output DV avi's but I imagine that it should handle them no problem, as long as you have the appropriate codec installed. I believe gifs need to be converted.

In the end, I'd really recommend sticking with outputting image sequences, just for the additional security, and flexibility. For quick renders, AE only takes moments to convert, and for long renders, frames give you the added protection. Modern processors make AE (or any other compositing tool) a really indispensable tool to any LW environment.

If you want to see how much extra flexibility rendering to frames and using AE can give you, I've got an admittedly simple (read: not comprehensive) tutorial on my site...
http://www.dougplanet.com/tut-rla-fun.html

Hope this helps.

jmc522
06-02-2003, 09:46 AM
Thank you both who resonded to my questions.

I asked about posting an image and, not knowing what I was doing, attempted and apparently succedded posting something I happened to have laying around. I was surprised at the display size. (Oh. I see. It's 24 inches high for the person I did it for - for them to have printed. but 72 dpi - nevermind). But I will check out Turbo Squid - again as I remember - because I was looking for a realistic skull for a dentist who wants some anims and found that site.

As far as the codecs: By the way, I do mostly output sequences for the very reason you stated - thankfully my first pc was 24 times faster at rendering than the Amiga - he said for no particular reason.

I love After Effects almost as much as Lightwave, so I do as you suggested all the time. I was just looking for the codec plugins to do DV, animated gifs, and flash straight from lightwave for quicky tests, etc if they exist, because all I have are the standard animation i/o plugins. For some reason Microsoft DV is not available as it is elsewhere, i.e., AE.

I'll try posting a smaller image I created using Lightwave and Photoshop.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I am responsible for what I believe and so therefore perceive.

T-Light
06-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Hi Jmc522,

I agree 100% with Bionic Antboy on this, All sorts of things can happen during a render, and even a crash on a small animation that will only take twenty minutes or so is still twenty minutes wasted.

If your wanting to output via DV for fast animation tests (little or no enhancement), then I'd say use an editor rather than a compositor to convert your sequence.

Using Ulead's Media Studio Pro - (V 6), I can convert about 30 seconds of stills (750 images - PAL) to DV within about a minute or so. :)

jmc522
06-11-2003, 04:40 PM
I hear ya! Thanks.