PDA

View Full Version : Is there a setting for opening untitled?

maddogmike
06-19-2006, 01:36 PM
When I open TED, it automatically opens the last project opened, which can be annoying if it's not the project you want. With a large project, this can mean many minutes of waiting.

Is there a preference to set so it opens an untitled by default?

I'm working in VT3.

Scott Bates
06-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Yup, Ctrl-n = new project. Hit it before you exit VT, gives you a blank (untitled) slate the next time you open VT. Put another way, whatever project is in VT-Edit when you close VT will be automatically loaded the next time you start it up.

ted
06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Before closing VT I strongly suggest closing your current project and then close VT. Then when you open VT is will start with a clean timeline and not start by trying to load a large un-needed project.

ted
06-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Ya beat me Scott! Yeh, like he said.:hey:

maddogmike
06-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks. I knew about the trick for opening an untitled before closing, but was hoping there was another way.

I'll try closing out of TED before Toaster and see what happens when I open up again.

ScorpioProd
06-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Actually, to speed your exiting, in the sense of what happens after you hit "exit", I strongly recommend blanking your entire VT desktop, first.

Scott Bates
06-19-2006, 05:53 PM
I'll try closing out of TED before Toaster and see what happens when I open up again.
Not sure, but you may be misunderstanding what Ted and I are saying. I've never cleaned off the entire VT desktop before closing VT as Eugene suggests, but I'm guessing that if you have an active project in TED when you close it (whether by closing TED itself before exiting VT or by exiting VT with TED still open with a project there) that project will probably automatically load when you next start VT and then bring TED onto the desktop.

While I can understand that having TED/VT-Edit automatically "empty" itself before VT closes might be just a split second faster, my 'exit vt' procedure begins with my right pinkie on Ctrl and my right index finger on 'n'; if I did stop to think about it, which I never do, it would already be done.

But then one of the neatest things about VT is that they've given us so many ways to do things - it's just kind of a 'you do your own thing and we'll make it work' tool. :thumbsup:

Jim Capillo
06-19-2006, 08:12 PM
......But then one of the neatest things about VT is that they've given us so many ways to do things - it's just kind of a 'you do your own thing and we'll make it work' tool. :thumbsup:

Agreed ! I've done it both ways. I try and look ahead to see what I'll be doing the next time I open VT. Obviously, if I'll be working on the same project, I'll just exit - if a new project is scheduled, I'll use <CTRL N> before exiting. Can't say I've tried Eugene's suggestion either, but I'll give it a shot and see if it speeds up the boot. Many of the tricks you learn here are very beneficial - some will help greatly, some a little and some not at all. Everyone's workflow is different, so YMMV.

ScorpioProd
06-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I didn't mean for just the speed of opening, but the speed of exiting...

If I leave a big project in my two screen editing setup, it can take a while for VT to actually exit...

Jim Capillo
06-20-2006, 07:07 AM
If I leave a big project in my two screen editing setup, it can take a while for VT to actually exit...

I've noticed that too, Eugene. Additionally, I've had a glitch every once in a while that leaves a module or two out while closing and then it gets stuck. The 4 fingered salute <CTRL ALT V T> shuts it down, but I then have to reload the layout on next startup.

maddogmike
06-20-2006, 12:16 PM
...I'm guessing that if you have an active project in TED when you close it (whether by closing TED itself before exiting VT or by exiting VT with TED still open with a project there) that project will probably automatically load when you next start VT and then bring TED onto the desktop.

That's what I thought too, I was just giving Ted the benefit of the doubt.

Nope. Closing Toaster Edit and opening it again brings up the same project.

Something I wasn't familiar with before is the <CTRL ALT V T> method of correcting hang-ups. I usually go CTRL ALT DEL when I want to crash the program. I'll have to try the "four fingered salute" instead.

ScorpioProd
06-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I've noticed that too, Eugene. Additionally, I've had a glitch every once in a while that leaves a module or two out while closing and then it gets stuck. The 4 fingered salute <CTRL ALT V T> shuts it down, but I then have to reload the layout on next startup.

Same thing happens to me Jim, but the solution is to WAIT. I've never needed to force out of it.

Cineman
06-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Jim, I have never ever had VT not close the seemingly stuck modules eventually, though sometimes it does try my patience. I have found that if I have ended up with my mouse pointer over one of the seemingly stuck modules, if I move the mouse, it almost immediately closes, followed quickly by any others.

If you have saved your configuration on a tab, the desktop, or by simply having shutdown the VT, clicking "No" on the startup dialog box, after having done a Ctrl+Alt+V+T; can quickly return you to your previous layout. You will have to click on the tab to recall, but the others will do it automatically.

By the way, clicking "Yes" in that dialog box runs the equivalent of the ole "Oops" utility that you couldn't find before.

Nes Gurley

jcupp
06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
When I open TED, it automatically opens the last project opened, which can be annoying if it's not the project you want. With a large project, this can mean many minutes of waiting.

Is there a preference to set so it opens an untitled by default?

I'm working in VT3.

You can set "Force Clean Exit" in prefs. This will clear all module settings though, not just VT Edit.

Jim Capillo
06-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Same thing happens to me Jim, but the solution is to WAIT. I've never needed to force out of it.

LOL ! :D Usually it happens when I have one foot out of the office and all the lights out, Harley running..... not much patience at that time of the day, if you know what I mean. 8~

Jim, I have never ever had VT not close the seemingly stuck modules eventually, though sometimes it does try my patience. I have found that if I have ended up with my mouse pointer over one of the seemingly stuck modules, if I move the mouse, it almost immediately closes, followed quickly by any others.

Thanks Nes, I'll give the mouse trick a try the next time it binds up on me.

Something I wasn't familiar with before is the <CTRL ALT V T> method of correcting hang-ups. I usually go CTRL ALT DEL when I want to crash the program. I'll have to try the "four fingered salute" instead.

It's usually much quicker, Mike. You don't have to wait for Windoze to open the panel and then select the app or process to quit.

<CTRL ALT V T > = BOOM ! :compbeati

Cineman
06-22-2006, 05:42 AM
LOL ! :D Usually it happens when I have one foot out of the office and all the lights out, Harley running..... not much patience at that time of the day, if you know what I mean. 8~
:) Hi Jim,

Actually, I can't hardly get past the Harley thing. Think I might just reach for the power switch to ride off on a Harley sooner, than, say, moments later. :)

Thanks Nes, I'll give the mouse trick a try the next time it binds up on me.
Hope that I ain't instigating a Urban Legend with this. I mean, who, can tell. I have waited a couple of seconds longer a few times to see if the module will just go on and close by itself. Then, I just say "Naw, I'd just rather get on with life." and move the mouse pointer off the seeming stuck module. Could be nothing more than feeling like I'm doing something to get on with things. ;)

It's usually much quicker, Mike. You don't have to wait for Windoze to open the panel and then select the app or process to quit.

<CTRL ALT V T > = BOOM ! :compbeati
Its, like, instantaneous quick. Andrew Cross fairly beat on me to just do it when the VT bogged down or quit functioning. Then, I beat on the church. Another thing it does right is kill Winrtme in the process, so that additional step is not needed.

Nes Gurley