PDA

View Full Version : What is the Discovery Edition of LW 8?

mr jibbs
06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Is it a limited version or something along those lines?

Safe Harbor
06-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Yes. It's what you get if you try to run LW without a dongle, and is also considered the "demo" version of LW. I believe it is limited in terms of how many polygons you can work with in a scene (can someone else confirm this?).

mr jibbs
06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
yeah i can confirm that because an error message would pop up saying that you can only work with 400 or something like that. What is a dongle?

BazC
06-19-2006, 12:50 PM
The Discovery Edition is limited to 400 points per layer, there is a watermark on all renders and there are a few other limitations.

The "Dongle" is a little electronic gizmo that plugs into your computer. Lightwave will not run in the unlimited version without it. It has it good and bad points but it does at least allow you to install Lightwave on as many machines as you like (Mac and Windows) since you can only use one at a time thanks to the Dongle.

mr jibbs
06-19-2006, 12:52 PM
ok so that explains as i was following a tut on a sky scene when i brought up the scene in render it finished with a watermark of a checkerboard over it and thats when i started questioning what i really had. So basically the Discovery edition is worthless? Is the "Dongle" sold seperatly or does it come with the full version?

WhiteBoy
06-19-2006, 01:20 PM
If you bought a legit license of LightWave, you should have received a dongle along with your discs.

I wouldn't call Discovery Edition worthless. It's for learning and demonstration purposes. But yes, for actual production purposes, it's not going to do you much good.

Safe Harbor
06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't call Discovery Edition worthless. It's for learning and demonstration purposes. But yes, for actual production purposes, it's not going to do you much good.

And, seeing as it is free, why should it do any more than demonstrate the software and provide limited functionality?

If you want full use of the software, you need to purchase it.

Bog
06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
In this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52518) you say you've bought LW, Mr. Jibbs - this being the case you should definately have a small piece of hardware with it, probably with a USB connection (unless you got a second-hand copy, in which case it might be a parallel port hardware key, also known as a Dongle).

If you connect that to your computer and install the drivers for it, that should take LW out of Discovery Mode.

If you've paid for LW and didn't receive a dongle then you need to talk to whoever you bought it from.

nerdyguy227
06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Check for a little thumbdrive shaped thing in a bag and plug that in