PDA

View Full Version : 24 p and Speed edit

vtlipera
06-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know if speed edit will be able to handle 24P, and will it be able to convert to mpeg2 for making dvds? Thanks.

robewil
06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Yes, on both. Speed-Edit is resolution and frame-rate independant.

chuckd
06-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Has anyone seen any more info on the frame-rate independence? I'm prepping my first HD project (a 4 camera concert shoot) and trying to decide what format to shoot it in.

At this point I am planning on going with the HVX-200 and would like to shoot 24pN as this yields true 24 fps (or 23.98) footage. There is a great deal of storage economy in this versus the 24p over 60 version.

But it's not clear to me how SE handles such things. What I really need to know is if, in the same project, I can produce a true 24p DVD *and* a 720 60p HDCam tape master.

ted
06-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Chuck, just remember that Speed Edit isn't out yet. When does your project need to be finished by?
The HVX is a great choice as long as low light isn't your top priority. It's not bad, but there are better low light cameras out there.

chuckd
06-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Chuck, just remember that Speed Edit isn't out yet. When does your project need to be finished by?

The shoot is scheduled for September 1. But I need to have a pretty clear idea of how the pipeline for all this is going to work. If SE doesn't *really* do 24p natively it's not a problem as long as it can handle the 24p over 60 mode (which any 720 60p capable editor should).

The only info Newtek has released so far is the brag sheet they had at NAB and a couple of screen shots. There is a lot of info in those but the devil, as they say, is in the details.

chuckd
06-19-2006, 02:48 PM
The HVX is a great choice as long as low light isn't your top priority. It's not bad, but there are better low light cameras out there.

How low is low light? When do you start to see problems?

ScorpioProd
06-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Just wanted to second the opinion that it's very dangerous to actually base a project on a product that isn't shipping yet. Anything and everything about SpeedEDIT could change before it ships.

Ted, what camera is better in low light?

chuckd
06-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Just wanted to second the opinion that it's very dangerous to actually base a project on a product that isn't shipping yet. Anything and everything about SpeedEDIT could change before it ships.

Ted, what camera is better in low light?

Well, if SpeedEDIT isn't ready, doesn't work or is otherwise unavailable I'll do the edit in Premiere Pro. This isn't my first rodeo :thumbsup:

But, given the type of editing that the show will involve, it'll be *waaaaaay* faster to do it in SE.