PDA

View Full Version : Getting your 3D model made inside a Crystal

Mipmap
06-18-2006, 08:39 PM
http://www.crystalrender.com/

I came across this a while back, and it seems interesting compared to another one I saw posted here before where some people made a beige resin model with a bumpy\sandy surface texture that you'd have to try to paint to make look good.

I was curious if anyone here has any better description or even better, know of somewhere with larger pictures of the models in crystal than what is shown on that site. It looks on their site in the tiny pictures like its just a sort of ghost projection of your model in the crystal.

But their site suggests that its using the points of your model to create little clouds inside the crystal. So my main worry was if looking at it from any reasonably close distance would make it look more like just a bunch of little floating pieces of sand in a glass block trying to make up a shape. Or if it actually does look good up close.

mattclary
06-18-2006, 09:17 PM
i received a similar item as a gift from my company. It looks pretty cool, but no, you are going to to get super-fine detail, I don't think. The more points in the model the better.

Mipmap
06-18-2006, 09:40 PM
I just wish I could find a nice high res picture of one so I could see.

I wasn't really wanting super fine detail. I was just curious mainly if the surface of the object, characters skin or whatever appears to be solid, or if its a bunch of dots with visible gaps between them.

If I did do one I'd be turning up subpatches as high as I could to get the most points when I froze it, at least that would allow the file size when zipped to be under 6mb which is their requirement.

T-Light
06-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Well, I'm not into fairy's, elves that kind of stuff, but a store where my girlfriend used to work got a bunch in, I loved one and she bought me it. We're going back a few years here, and there was nothing around like this at the time.

It's only small and doesn't compare to the kind of work those guys are kicking out, but still, the tiny one I have is simply fantastic.

This one's about an inch and a half square, I'm guessing it's the same technique although it looks to be a 3D scan rather than a model.

Hope the picture helps (It's dawn here, nice light for this, so I popped it on a windowsill and here it is.)

T-Light
06-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Mipmap -

I was just curious mainly if the surface of the object, characters skin or whatever appears to be solid, or if its a bunch of dots with visible gaps between them.As you can see from the pic above, there's gaps, the beauty of these things is the fact that they're made of tiny bubbles.

If you want to give yourself an idea of how something's going to look, Take your 'frozen' model, turn the points into single point poly's and do a render. If the render looks too sparse go back and increase your subpatch level and repeat.

Have to say, I'm really interested in this sort of work, may well send them some of my models. Thanks very much for posting :)

Verlon
06-18-2006, 11:14 PM
while in Las Vegas, I saw that you could have your own likeness captured in 3D and put into Crystal like that....decent detail....

T-Light
06-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Verlon-

I saw that you could have your own likeness captured in 3D and put into Crystal like that....decent detail....

They are, I suppose you have to see one and play with it in the light to do them any justice. To give an idea of the size of those bubbles, the base of the fairy above is a little over a centimetre, I counted over 40 horizontal bubbles in that space, so each bubble is a little over .25 of a milimetre, or in other words only slightly wider than an average human hair.

lilrayray77
06-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Also, perhaps you should consider the price..... $60 for a keychain!!!