PDA

View Full Version : Which Monitor?

elijahnow
06-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Hello,
I need to get a new monitor.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they would suggest for LW 3D. It needs to be at least a 19" and price is definitely a consideration.
I like the newer LCD's that really bring out the 3D, but don't know if they work well for creating 3D.
I also was wondering would a 27" LCD TV work. They look great for TV but I haven't heard of them being used for a monitor. Is it a pixel problem?
Thanks,

Del

prospector
06-18-2006, 06:11 PM
I run dual LCDs on all compys here and would never go back to other ones (crt), and just got 2 acer AL1906 LCDs from tiger direct that so far are the best I have they ran 149 after rebate of 70 each. And the good thing is they have a thin bezel so when put sideby side there is less blank area then the others I have (envision) and they were the thin bezel at the time.
2 important things to watch for
500:1 or higher contrast and 8ms or under response time.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=170

TheDude
06-18-2006, 06:12 PM
If I was looking I'd bear these things in mind (and in this order): Screen size, response time, resoloution, DVI connector.
I would go for a 19" widescreen TFT with a res around 1400 X 800 (higher if you can afford it) with at least an 8 millisecond response time and if possible a DVI connector.
An LCD TV probably has a much slower response rate around 25 ms, which is OK for TV but can cause ghosting with 3D apps and games (not that game performance is important....yeah right!).
A DVI connector will give you a better image (if you're graphics card has a DVI connector, most new ones do).
You'll be looking at that monitor a lot, so spend as much as you can afford. One thing with TFTs you can get dead pixels (they look like black or grey dots on the screen), you should check the manufacturer/retailer return policy regarding dead pixels before you buy.

Cheers

TheDude
06-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Oh yeah and as you live in the US (and not in "rip off" Europe) you'll be able to buy a monitor for peanuts, so get two... :D
Actually, to be honest you'd probably be better off with one really good monitor than a couple of OK ones.

Cheers

elijahnow
06-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Hey thanks Prospector and TheDude,
I've printed the posts and will begin my monitor search shortly.
I thought I'd let you know what setup I have at the moment. I don't think it will make any difference but here it is.
Athlon 64 3000, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board, 1 gig x 2-512- OCZ 3500 ram, Rapter 10,000 sata HD, Asus EN6600GT graphics card
Thanks again.

byte_fx
06-20-2006, 01:31 PM
It's interesting to see all the people using soild state monitors.

I use them for general modeling and basic scene setup, lighting and surfacing.

But for final tweaks and render quality checks a good crt is still the way to go.

The crt still beats solid state in terms of image quality hands down.

Whatever you decide on get something like a spyder2 to calibrate it with.

The net is overstuffed with renders that probably look pretty good on the artist's system but look like crud on a calibrated crt or even a calibrated solid state display.

byte_fx

Trulsi
06-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Why is it cheaper to put an analog connector on something that requires a digital signal? (I am referring to cheap LCD monitors coming with just an analog connector)

I went to my local PC component reseller because I could not find the info anywhere on the web, and they have been very honest and knowledgeable about other things. The answer he gave was that LCD's in the lower price segment actually don't require a digital signal. They all use an LCD controller that takes analog input - therefore, in cheap monitors with DVI connectors, the digital signal is put through a D/A-converter before it is shown on screen. That's why DVI connectors on cheap LCD's don't make any difference in image quality (I read a lot of tests where the test technician is very surprised to see this), and are nothing but a marketing trick.

I was surprised, but it finally made sense.