PDA

View Full Version : LW Cad and Extend

Davoid
06-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Hello,

I am going thru the LW Cad "Creating a Flat from a plan" tutorial and I have got up to page 27 no.25, it says to select points and press "e" to extend them. I select the points and when I select "e" nothing happens, in fact the key is set to Extender Plus. I cannot even manually select this key. How do I find just the extend key?
I am using version 8.5 of Lightwave in default mode.

Thanks for any help.
David

UnCommonGrafx
06-17-2006, 04:20 PM
That IS what it does: place another row of points right ontop of the ones that are there.
I'm not sure what the next command you are supposed to do but I would be a dime to a dollar that you are to 'move the newly created geometry', or some such verbiage.

RonGC
06-17-2006, 04:32 PM
When you press the e key a new set of points are created and selected at the same location as the previous points.

Now you can use the move tool, for example to move those points, press e again and repeat until you have the amount of geometry you want.

You can also use the other tools in the modify section to manipulate your new geometry as you extend your polys.

Play with it a bit, it really is easy to use.
Hope this helps.

Ron

THREEL
06-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey there Davoid,

How's it going?:D Listen to Uncommon and Ron. They got it goin' on with extender. The only thing is when you use just the plain extender command, some of your new polygons will face in one direction, and the others will face in the opposite direction. Now, you won't see these new polygons until you modify them using move, stretch, angle, etc... Also, with the regular extender command you'll get one long polygon that begins at the first point you selected and ends at the last point. You have to have more than two or three points selected when you use extender to get this extra polygon. If your surface for these new polygons is double sided, you won't be able to tell which of the new polygons are facing the opposite direction, unless you select these new polys and take notice of which way the side indicator line is pointing.

The nice thing about Extender Plus is it usually keeps all of the new polygons facing the same direction as the existing polygons your building off of, and you automatically eliminate the extra usually unwanted polygon.:thumbsup: I don't have LW Cad, yet, but I worked with another CAD package for several years, and I can see where Extender (Plus) would be an extremely beneficial tool for raising flat floor plans off the drawing board and into virtual reality.

Hope this helps!:)

THREEL (AL)

Penforhire
06-17-2006, 10:02 PM
This is a minor gripe of mine with Extender. You can't tell that your "e" worked or is active until you try moving the points. Not a huge deal because Undo always works (so far) but it annoying when I'm thinking about three things at once and forget if I extender-ed.

Davoid
06-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks all for the reply :thumbsup: , now back to the tutorial.

Thanks again,
David