PDA

View Full Version : newbie question: convert bitmap into triangle colours

marcofera
06-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Greetings fellas. I'm new to the forum, plz help
I need to realize a realistic terrain form real data. I don't want to use textures on my elevation models because it would take too much memory (the data must be exported to be used in a real time visualization software). I would like to know if it is possible to use a texture (in my case a satellite image) and convert the texture mapping into material properties for every triangle the mesh is made of, or in other words to have a different colour per triangle which matches the most common colour of the portion of texture applied upon that same triangle. In this way I would have a 3d mesh with colours resembling those of the original texture. I hope I was clear enough. Is there a specific term for the technique I described? It doesn't sound too much complicated to add in an advanced 3d package for me! Is it possible with lightwave alone? will I need a plug-in? or another program?
I must decide whether to purchase lightwave or not, this is the only feature I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance

kruemel_1
06-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Lightwave has a command "Textured Point". This takes a texture (procedural, image, gradient) and assignes the color of the texture to the underlying point. Like in OpenGL the points are colored, the triangle have a smooth transition from point to point.

marcofera
06-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Excellent!!! many thanks! you'll soon have a new lightwave user :thumbsup:
Marco