PDA

View Full Version : New system specs for a new VT4/5

Day-Vids
06-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Currently we still own a VT2 and have finally gotten the go ahead to upgrade to a VT4/5.

I'm planning on keeping the same SX8 that we have and not upgrading to the 84. I was not involved with the original purchase of equipment so I do not know everything that the machine we currently use is using, but I am assuming that the VT card uses a standard PCI slot, and the Graphics cards do not affect the performance much if at all. *(Correct me if I'm wrong here).

Looking at going with a Tyan Tiger K8W or K8WE (depending on the graphics card we currently have in our "to be replaced machina"). Going with a Dual Dual Core AMD Opteron System Probably something like a pair of
AMD Opteron 252 2.6GHz Processor.
2-4 GB of RAM.
A variety of HD's:
-- 1 System drive
-- 1 pair of SATA II 7200RPM High Capacity 16 MB buffer HD's for recording to. (the reviews I've seen on these provide a higher data through put than the smaller buffer 10K SATA's - Again, correct me if I'm wrong)
-- 1 High capacity SATAII 16MB buffer HD for media playback (on a separate connector).

Beyond approval of the above HD equipment, (and before anyone goes SCSI on my butt, it's simply out of our price range, that's why I'm looking at running a separate HD for playback on a separate channel from the raid used for Recording), the feedback I'm looking for (may require developer comments) is this...

Does VT require Large amounts of cache, I know that intel is coming out with some new procs in the not too distant future that are going to be HUGE amounts of L2 Cache (like 4 MB's). Now the Software that I prefer to edit with is VERY effecient with it's Cache utilization, and it doesn't do me too much good to have such a large Cache in terms of the software, however what I do not know is if VT is highly effecient with the cache or if it would opperate better with the larger cache - obviously I'm currently planning on an AMD system, but any input I could get would be great.

It should be known that the majority of things played from this system are stored in a 25Mbit stream of video and are not very high bandwith intensive.

Thanks (especially if you read this whole thing :P )

John Perkins
06-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I would have to suggest upgrading the video card as well and using the K8WE or it's equivalent from another manufacturer. You can get a very nice PCI-Express video card for $80 or less. We will be using the video card more heavily in the future, so I would hate to see you stuck with a huge investment in an AGP system over an $80 part. I never suggest buying AGP anymore, it's old technology that you will regret later.

The Opteron 252's are single core. You have to move up to a 265 to get dual core. You would have to weigh your options here. 252's are fast, the dual core chips are way faster, so it's your call. These are upgradable later, but it's still quite an investment.

VT5 will run fine on AMD systems. It is still too early to tell which CPU will be the performance king, but I doubt that we could safely release anything that requires more cache than the AMD's can supply or more memory bandwidth than the 800Mhz bus Xeons can supply.

For planning on a budget, I would give us a little more time to get a better handle on what the final software will do in a given drive configuration. We have a lot of changes in that area and buying now may cause you to either spend too much or buy too little. Either situation is not good.

I hope I wasn't too vague, but it's still early and I don't know your situation exactly. I would suggest having a good dealer to help you find a good match for your intended use and budget.

Day-Vids
06-17-2006, 05:52 PM
AMD Opteron 170 Dual-Core 2.0GHz Processors are what I'll probably go with, don't know why but for some reason I had it in my head that the 252's were dualcore. Thx for your input, I talked to you at NAB as well for just a short bit, and got some feedback from you then. The use is for live switching, putting up graphics, all kinds of various things, disiplaying speaker notes/slides, video playback. Not certain* that I'll be recording to disk, but it's a possibilty for sure.

thanks for the input on the Graphics card information too. I will add that into the equation - with software upgrade only I'm trying to stay under 2500. I'm already over budget just a bit, but I think I can squeeze a little bit extra out of my budget.

Thanks again.

John Perkins
06-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Glad I could help.

Don't forget that the 100 series CPU's are single CPU only, you have to get the 200 series for dual CPU.

Day-Vids
06-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Gah - didn't know that - thanks

Glad I could help.

Don't forget that the 100 series CPU's are single CPU only, you have to get the 200 series for dual CPU.

Day-Vids
06-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know if the new AM2 procs from AMD can do dual CPU?

Thanx

ScorpioProd
06-17-2006, 11:40 PM
John, do you recommend SLI as being needed for the future GPU use, too?

John Perkins
06-18-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't think that SLI will be a big issue. There is nothing you can do with two cards that you can't do with one that costs twice as much.

I mostly suggested not buying into old technology this late in the game. Imagine buying into a system years ago that could upgrade the CPU's but had no PCI slots, you would really regret it.

PCI-E is a cheap way of future-proofing your investment.

John Perkins
06-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh, as far as I know, the AM2 CPU's are consumer level CPU's, not Opterons needed for dual, quad, etc. use.

I'm sure that eventually the Opteron series will get similar improvements, but right now the AM2's have a only a very slight (like 2%) speed improvement at the same clock speed.

ScorpioProd
06-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I mostly suggested not buying into old technology this late in the game. Imagine buying into a system years ago that could upgrade the CPU's but had no PCI slots, you would really regret it.

I don't know anyone that's ever regretted getting an Amiga. :D