PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to....

zagadka
06-16-2006, 09:31 PM
hi, first let me say I'm new to screamerNet.

what I want to know if it is possible to network render with a mac and a pc? I use a mac currently with LW, but I will be getting a pc,
so can it be done?

djlithium
06-17-2006, 10:35 PM
hi, first let me say I'm new to screamerNet.

what I want to know if it is possible to network render with a mac and a pc? I use a mac currently with LW, but I will be getting a pc,
so can it be done?

Yes, it can. I recommend however having the shared drive being on the PC with all of your content and mount that drive with a matching drive letter as to you PC, on the mac. This will ensure the content can be located by both machines. The real trick isn't the content. It's the bat file configuration on both machines. Obviously I am not a mac guy but my understanding is that if you have matching plugs/configs on each machine, even if you run screamernet locally using those configs and plugs on each machine but set the content directory to you PC shared drive which is mounted as the same drive letter on the mac, you are good to go. I have done this in the past on dec alpha and pc mixed farm as well as combined 32bit and 64bit machines using independent bat files for each box for their start up of screamernet. It's much easier actually to have the screamer net bat files located on the shared drive with the executable and plugs, but this may not be doable on the mac side. Read/write permissions being what they are you have to get the mac to be able to see that drive and read/write to it as if it was local to the mac. I am not to keen on AppleTalk and how you can get a mac to see an NTFS file share but it should be easy once you get around that.