PDA

View Full Version : Wireframe Render/Open GL Display Divides Quads

Emfrobia
06-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi again, here's another of my many questions. I'm currently using wire renders for a project of mine. When the object has no subdivision, it renders quads as quads. As soon i add some subdivision to smooth the object out, each quad is separated into triangles. This totally destroys the look of the poly flow. I have the same effect happen in Layout when i view an object in Texture Shaded Solid Wireframe mode. Is there a setting i can change to get rid of this? Thanks,
~Emfrobia

kiwi dave
06-16-2006, 09:03 PM
In Layout your object is being affected by the Sub Patch level. If you have your object selected, go into its properties panel and change the display subpatch level. If you set it to 0 it will look exactly as it does in Modeller. Needles to say if you want to render this out, you will have to alter the render subpatch level also.

Dave

Silkrooster
06-16-2006, 09:40 PM
If you want to have a smoother look to your object. Instead of using subpatches or subdivision (two different things BTW) use smoothing in the surface editor instead. Both subpatches and subdivision add geometry, smoothing does not. You may get smoothing errors, when rendered the flat side looks funny(not really sure how to describe it), anyways, Toby has a smoothing tutorial on his web site (http://www.tobygaines.com/smoothing.html) to help deal with this issue.
Hope this helps,
Silk

Emfrobia
06-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Wait... So you mean to say that subpatch wireframe renders can't be done with wireframe rendering?

mrunion
06-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Subpatch will triple the polys -- always has. Don't know any software that does. (That doesn't mean some doesn't!)

Basically, if you want wires, don't subpatch.

RedBull
06-17-2006, 09:57 PM
The workaround being, Freeze and Untriple. (merge trigonsX)