PDA

View Full Version : Blender and lightwave similar

tokuda
06-16-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm close to buying, cause I found a good price, but a few things are stopping me.

What finally convinced me to buy was that my other programs, Carrara and Blender, have their limits. Blender can do everything I want, but unfortuanately, not only is a lot of its renders rather funky looking but they also take FOREVER with so much as one poser model (didn't use to do that... wonder if it has something to do with the "upgrades"). Carrara continues to baffle me as to why exactly I purchased it. I wanted something with more power than Blender, in the end, that's really negotiable, denpending on the model or day of the week:thumbsdow .

Anyway, I heard Lightwave had very similar controls to Blender, but much more power. One of my biggest complaints about Carrara has been that unlike Blender's "halo" generator, Carrara's control's simulating smoke or energy, are pre-set. Basically, if its not a preset, no smoke or energy formation I want to make, can actually be made. Does lightwave have a better system?

Celshader
06-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Does lightwave have a better system?

I do not know if LightWave has a "better" system. However, Anthony Zierhut used Blender for three years before switching to LightWave. Here's his experience in switching to LightWave:

From http://www.blender.org/cms/Animatics_for_Motion_P.393.0.html

Finally, in order to share assets, save time translating meshes, interface rapidly with other animatic artists, and therefore keep my job, I made the switch to LightWave 3d. But even then Blender completely pulled through for me. Because of what I had learned in Blender I was able to produce my first shot within one day of having to run LightWave for the first time. Within two weeks I felt completely confident in using LightWave. I credit this to (1.) having learned so much about basic and even advanced 3d from Blender, and (2.) some amazingly fundamental similarities in the two programs, even down to some similar keyboard shortcuts.

Defiance
06-16-2006, 07:43 PM
The converse - switching from LightWave to Blender (b/c LightWave is not available for Linux) - is something I haven't been able to accomplish. I think it's because I don't want to learn the Blender hotkeys - I want to be able to play with Blender and do things with it, but still be able to use LightWave when I want, so I don't want to learn all the Blender hotkeys. Learning Houdini has already screwed up some of my LightWave workflow.

colkai
06-17-2006, 05:32 AM
With the 3DWorld example this month, I'm waiting for Blender 2.42 to be released to check out if the character animation in it is any good.
We know it's got fluid sims, so there's no reason to give oneself time to test it out, after all, ya can't exactly complain about the price! ;) :D

tokuda
06-17-2006, 03:43 PM
There's no doubt Blender makes a great product, I just wish it had more power and the render results were more predictable. For now, at least its excellent for speed modeling. (They even run competitions for speed modeling on their site.) I suspect half the problem for Poser models is that Blender separates the different parts... though why it does that...???

Phil
06-17-2006, 04:05 PM
I just can't get on with the interface. The mouse interaction is terribly confusing to me and those tiny icons are really frustrating at times.

Give it a more usable interface and it would probably be even more popular than it is now.

mrunion
06-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Definitly no disrespect to Phil, but the interface is AWESOME once you get used to it. Most people that get used to it claim it's the best one they've used (it seems to me). Everything is where it should be.

Everyone has their own opinions, though.

tokuda
06-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Hey, ya know, with the version I'm getting, I'm told there's an instruction manual about a thousand pages long... I'll get around to that... someday... is there a quick start manual?

Phil
06-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Definitly no disrespect to Phil, but the interface is AWESOME once you get used to it. Most people that get used to it claim it's the best one they've used (it seems to me). Everything is where it should be.

Everyone has their own opinions, though.

Yeah...it's the 'getting used' to it part that I find difficult. I find the interface is prone to making inexperienced users guess where something is hiding. I'm still puzzled by the choice of a radiation symbol as an icon, for example. I have also never really been able to figure out the surfacing aspects of the tool; the tool area also feels very cramped with lots of miniscule buttons tightly packed together.

Anyway, I'd love to get to grips with blender, if only to have something to use on linux (where NT seems afraid or unwilling to take LW). After the 'Elephants Dream' project, I am waiting for the next release to take another look.

jevinstudios
06-18-2006, 12:41 AM
i've used LW, Maya & Blender, and find that out of the box, LW is the best complete solution out of the three.

cobaltman
06-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I have both Lightwave and Blender, and I found each to have their ups and downs.

Lightwave is much better with graphic detail and the larger button controls make it easy to find the tools. Just like Phil said, the buttons are just too darn tiny. If Blender would just make big buttons, I would be happy. Also, there are a TON of tools in Lightwave that does all sorts of things and Newtek just keeps adding more. There are a lot of 3rd party tools out there, too, and each is added to Lightwave interface the same way.

What I like about Blender is the fact that it is flexable as far as what you want to make. At the moment, Lightwave can only do videos and stills. With Blender, you can actually make interactive 3D programs such as video games and business presentations. I just wish the graphics were better because I'm not much for Blender graphics.

I am waiting for Pimtool to come out of beta. It looks like an advanced mimic to Blender and it is a plug-in for Lightwave. I definitely want it since it integrates with LW. The pics they have on the web site look impressive, too.

Rayek
06-19-2006, 05:07 AM
Before Lightwave, I was (and still am) a long time user of Cinema4D. I have also worked in Blender, Hexagon, 3dsMAX (Urghh) and some other 3d apps.

I must say that learning to work in Lightwave didn't pose any problems at all: within two weeks I was working with modeller in a way and at a speed I didn't know was possible. So right now, I tend to do most objects in Modeller and Hexagon. Somehow Lightwave just 'works'... And I would never have thought I'd say this, but modelling in Cinema4D feels somewhat awkward at times compared to Lightwave. (Though I do sorely miss a file/object manager and the layer manager should be updated!)

So, if you know how to use Blender, you'll probably get up to speed with lightwave in no time.

Titus
06-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Blender has some similarities with Blender but also some differences. When you are working with an object you have two modes, only in edit mode you can modify the object, if by mistake you entered edit mode and create new polygons, these polygons belong to the same set as the previous object, I constantly make this mistake.

I love the game engine and how you can program a simple game almost with no scripting, the idea of logic bricks (nodes) could be used in LW instead of expressions.

dj_faceplant
06-26-2006, 04:40 AM
I'm Using Lightwave to do all the Primary Modelling for a game soon to be released (www.galaxylife.com - 3rd July for the first Closed Beta download) and the work is moving through Blender and then on to OGRE for the actual game itself. I'd have prefered that the work flow was purely from Lightwave to a better game engine just to improve the speed at which things are moving along, but that's for the next game.

As for moving between the packages, Lightwave has bena joy to learn and very strightforward. I guess one of my big hangups about using Blender and OGRE for proffesional game creation is that they are only free pieces of software and then becomes a support issue. For example, having to ask the coders to compile tools for scene viewing, or if they couldn't create what we needed, having to ask a free community to help. Now for the creative side of things, having a community like this is invaluable, but for a professional game creation environment, Lightwave is certainly the tool of choice. You've only got to look at Burnout 3 for this..

To be fair, i've been using Lightwave for years now and find it very comfortable and intuitive to use. I tried Max once and had to go have a cup of tea and a lie down.. Blenders interface can be confusing, especialy as Lightwave has everything written down nicely and don't rely on people learning what a thousand litle icons mean (Max again).. I could go on, but the gist of what i'm saying is..

Blender is create for people learning outside of professional games creation, and Lightwave for people lucky enough to be in the industry..