PDA

View Full Version : instancing/components in LW?

jamesthiago
06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Perhaps I've missed it somewhere in either the forum or through my other searches.
What I am looking for Lightwave to be able to do in modeller, is similar to sketchup components (see "component concepts" on the sketchup video tutorials),
or modo instancing (see "mesh instancing" on their 201 videos)

The ability to make cloned objects in modeller that all change when one instance is changed is important to the way I work.
Would HD instance or PP_Clone do this? I didn't see an example of editing one instance and having all instances respond.

That's the trouble with using different programs b/t work and home, you don't get it all in one piece of software. Overall, I prefer LW especially with the Pictrix and LWCad plugins.

Thanks
James

jm.khayat
06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
hi james

I'm afraid you won't get that sort of function in modeler as for now.
A clone object is just another bunch of independent geometry.

In layout, though, HD Instance will be what you're looking for, as it takes one (or several) already loaded object and clone them at rendertime to the actual position of another object's points or polygon normals.
So if you modify the source, the clones (instanced) will be changed as well.

jm

Exception
06-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Actually, cloned instances in Layout will update once the main object is updated. However, they do not save memory, as proper instances would.
Modeler does not have any of such functionality. Its called parametric modeling, and I have found that editing several objects in one go is faster in modeler by smart selection that parametric instances in maya or other programs.