PDA

View Full Version : take a look at this gallery

Nigel
02-17-2003, 07:02 PM
I was browsing some forums, and found a link to this guy's gallery.

http://www.nikosgatos.com

If you click that link, I hope your body can withstand 9G's, because his work will take you on a helova ride.

This is why I still believe in Lightwave. Kinda makes you wonder what Maya, Max and XSI are doesn't it? :)

Cheers!

mgreenway
02-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Very Cool. thanks for the tip:cool:

HowardM
02-17-2003, 10:16 PM
jeez, why not just kill me!?

wow, that MG is incredible...now why cant guys like him hang out here and give us some tips!?

the entire image is photoreal!...id really like to know how he made the ground and foliage!

i feel so worthless..... :)

DaBo
02-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Yeah "niXter" Rocks!

Have Ya seen the V-Rally 2 intro?

hehe.cya.

Nikos
02-19-2003, 04:00 AM
Hey guys,
Just found this thread accidentally. Thanks for your comments. :)

Most of the objects in this scene were modelled by hand, except the trees that were generated with an old plug-in called Onyx Tree Pro.

Feel free to ask anything else that comes into your mind. :)

wiremuse
02-19-2003, 05:23 AM
I certainly have to say Nikos has a lot of talent. Excellent lighting/environment skills. I think it would be great to see some tuts from you on environment design and lighting.

Keep up the good work Nikos

Nigel
02-19-2003, 11:36 AM
I'll second that, your enviromental setups are phenomenal.
Will any tutorials be added to your website in the near future (I can imagine that you extremely busy)

Keep it up

Nigel

Matt
02-19-2003, 12:59 PM
bottom-line, ANYTHING you can teach us mere mortals would be very useful!!!

myself, I'm really interested in achieving photorealism, so any tips in that area would be cool!!!

that car is amazing! I found it interesting that some ads I liked on the TV are done in LightWave and YOU did them!!!!!

:)

Nikos
02-20-2003, 04:09 AM
Nigel:
Yeah, I'm gonna put up a behind the scenes article about the car
once I get back to Sweden again... It'll have to wait a little while though as I need to finish a project here in London first...

Matt:
Well, I dunno really where to start but, a common practice when you surface cars is to use a shader that supports multiple specularities... e.g. Gaffer, BRDF or G2.
First you should make a low glossy bottom specular layer and then add a sharper hotspot on top...

Another important thing is to use a fresnel shader, such as FastFresnel or LightWave built in gradients to set an incident angle for the reflection because a car surface is always more reflective on the glancing angle than on the perpendicular angle.

Sorry for the short explanation but I'll write a bit more later on.

DaBo
02-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Hey Nikos!

U write about Specular etc.

Since some month I only work with reflection. I always have specular on zero. Well U can't simulate any Wax part easy with reflections only but U can! (and not all cars have a extra wax surface) :)

I'm not sure, but specular won't work with global ilum., are I'm right?

Just one question ;)

Cya.

Nikos
02-20-2003, 07:45 AM
yeah, Radiosity doesn't do any specular highlights (as far as I'm aware...) as it is only indirect lighting.

That's why I placed out an area light that acted as the sun to get specular hotspots. I also placed out a luminous polygon above the car to get that characteristic car surface reflection.

I guess if you can get the surface realistic with only reflections then go for it, but usually it helps to fake the reflection with some specularity....