PDA

View Full Version : Help needed quick! screamer problem!

mike_stening
06-16-2006, 05:08 AM
hi people, need some quick answers
got a render going in screamernet, rendering ok apart from the fact that it will only render files to the .flx format no matter what format i choose, any idea why this is, and what can i use these files in for animation footage as i don't know what they are for. o

or can anyone give me a fix to sort the rendering file problem

cheers

Dan_The_Man
06-16-2006, 10:07 AM
FLX is a video file formant compatible on PCs and Macs. You can download Wolfram Research Mathematica to open FLX formats on a Mac. Mac ScreamerNet farms will only render out FLX video formats.

Send one of your arguements/nodes to [email protected] (or just paste the code here) so we can take a look at it, it might be that it's not reaching your config files where you specify the file format.

mike_stening
06-16-2006, 10:15 AM
hmmm, cheers dan, but i have done screamer renders before and have saved out tiff files.
it appears to be that screamer just isn't seeing the plugins properly, as it is obviously seeing some of them just not the ones for saving.

i did in the end bring the .flx sequence back into LW and render again, which was pretty quick just not ideal, and it would be nice to be able to check frames are rendered ok whilst it is rendering.

my cmdline files for the nodes are set to look where the prefs files are and as such they know where the plugins are (cos they work in LW) so i'm a little lost

CommandZ
07-11-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm having the same problem just today with my render farm. I'm running 6 XRaid render nodes on Mac and it's spitting out .flx no matter what settings I use. I've been rendering out Targa sequences with no problem for 6 months now, only to have it spit out .flx during this render. What would I be looking for in the preferences if I'm trying to find the problem?

mike_stening
07-11-2006, 08:56 AM
thats the problem, its not 'in' the preferences, the prefs tell LW where to look for the plugins, and as the FILE I/O plugin is in the same place then rendering out to your chosen format shouldn't be a problem, more-over when you go to select the format for rendering if LW couldn't see the plugins then they wouldn't even show in the drop down for the file format.
not had any luck myself to sort it though animations are low on the ground here and i'm back on still which render out fine in whatever format you choose.

CommandZ
07-11-2006, 09:24 AM
I found one format that comes out as something other than .flx on my machines. The only one that I have found so far is the "targa" setting at the bottom of my render options. But the LW_Targa doesn't work. What can I do with .flx when I need an image with alpha channel? Thank goodness the "targa" setting works, but I need the other options.

mike_stening
07-11-2006, 09:27 AM
hmm havent tried that one, i'll give it a go

Matt
07-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Usual problems are:

Can't find config files (LWEXT8.cfg)

Paths to plugins inside LWEXT8.cfg point to a local address that the other nodes can't find, make sure they are pointing to a SHARED location.

Ran out of memory to save in chosen file format.

Scazzino
07-11-2006, 10:44 AM
I've been rendering on a Mac render farm to cineon ".cin" files without any problems.

I'd triple check your "LightWave Extensions 9 Prefs" file that the LWSN instance is using and verify that all the paths to the plugins are valid on the remote nodes.

I'd also triple check your LWSN cmdLine file to be sure you're pointing it to the config files OK on the remote nodes as well.

Here's some info that may be useful when checking things out...
Mastering LWSN on the Macintosh (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html).