PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave v9 on x64

brainysmurf
06-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Can someone post some decent benchmarks on Lightwave v9 32-bit vs. 64-bit? We've seen comparisons with the current lightwave 8. I'm wondering if the v9 has special optimizations for what will be the dominant architecture/OS in its (v9) lifetime...Please keep the other variables (machine, memory, rendered scences) the same... thanks!

even more v8 benchmarks like this would be help also.
thanks

lots
06-15-2006, 09:17 PM
I've not noticed any significan differences in render times between the two. I suspect once it comes to really large amounts of data that break the 4GB barrier, 64bit LW is going to make a difference, like it does in 8.5, but as far as speeds go with scenes below said barrier, I dont think you'll see much difference.

Granted I havn't actually tested this. Just my experiences from my fiddling between the 32 and 64bit versions of LW9.

I hope NT will be able to tune LW64bit to better take advantage of 64bit CPUs. One place where it would help would be to drop support for legacy CPUs on 64bit systems, seeing as 64bit systems are not using legacy CPUs :)

animotion
06-15-2006, 11:58 PM
How about bone deformation speed? how does this compare?

hstewarth
06-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I would think that 64 bit would only become important if you have a large scene and more that 3G or so memory. How much memory do you have on your system.

64 bit can be a lot slower than 32bin - because everything is larger - address take up more space - more data being move and example.

There is possible speed improvement in some calculations with 64 bit variables - but likely there is better way to code that.