PDA

View Full Version : animation question

robk
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
We are in the middle of finalizing an animatiom for a current project. The final delivery format will be a DVD as well as an avi to play on the computer.

- My question is should we render the frames interlaced for the dvd so our animation will look smoother. Or is interlaced video the correct format to save our mpeg2 files in? On the last software I used (Imagine) you have to render twice as many frames to get interlaced images. I presume this is the same in Lightwave. Basically your rendering time doubles.

- Also what in your opinion is the best encoder to take still frames to DVD and maintain the quality of the original stills.

- Any other hints would be helpful since this will be our first animation in Lightwave. We only do animations every few years so it is hard to keep up with the technology.

Thanks

Integrity
06-16-2006, 12:58 PM
It depends on the look and feel you want when using the DVD. Many people consider the very smooth playback of 60 field per second video very unappealing because it looks home made/amateurish. Many people are too used to the 24 frames per second of movies.

The "interlaced format" is not neccesarily needed for encoding a DVD. You can encode (and render) in the native 24 or 23.976, but I've heard some DVD players do not support this, not to mention you'll have to make sure your DVD software has it.

Lightwave will not render twice the amount of frames (term wise). It will render each field at its actual resolution instead of rendering at the frame's full resolution for each field. I just recently rendered some work in interlaced and (after doing initial tests) the interlaced render compared to the progressive render took nearly the same time. Although I was using radiosity so the reason it took slightly longer was because for each field it was recalculating some things for radiosity...which from this, I wanted to mention that it'll depend on your scene as well.

I have only used Adobe Encore, with Mainconcept's encoder, but in any case I believe just setting the quality/compression setting to its highest will do the best job the encoder you have will do, unless of course you need to cram the file on the DVD if there's not enough room. Keep in mind you will not be able to get the same quality as the original uncompressed stills.