PDA

View Full Version : .cfg infestation

06-15-2006, 08:04 AM
3 LW dongles moved between several workstations, & a big pile of render nodes (using butterfly).
all need to use the same cfg files.
LW instalation & cfg files are on a server.
mappings are all fine.
but.
Every now & again a workstation decides to make a couple of 'vanilla' cfg files of it's own, & LW launches 'dumb'.
- have to close LW (& hub) search & destroy cfgs from 'documents&settings', & then re-start LW. this gets boring, but any ideas on stopping it ?

colkai
06-15-2006, 08:12 AM
nope, LW, in lieu of having the '-c -p' set int the shortcut, will populate / create configs as it needs to. So anyone firing off LW from say the EXE directly is gonna upset matters. One reason I have a folder ofshortcuts which point to all my installs and localised configs. I only ever run LW from these and they can be copied across machines if I need to.

06-15-2006, 08:58 AM
this is my shortcut - "M" is a read-only drive with the LW installation, "S" has all the configs as well as Butterfly stuff.

"M:\LightWave [8]\Programs\lightwav.exe" -cS:\LW8_Config

90% of the time it's all fine. But every now & then the normally working shortcuts open LW vanilla & let it make local cfgs, which it then uses in preference to the proper ones!

colkai
06-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Looks as it should, (though I also use the '-p' option for plugin configs to be covered. The only other thing I can think of is some form of network lag meaning LW decides it can't "find" the network path so goes for a vanilla open mode.