PDA

View Full Version : Metal flake texture

Tony3d
06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi, I need to make a metal flake texture kinda like the type you would see on a drum set. I will then lay Illustrated artwork over them in a separate layer using alpha channels. Does anyone know how to get this texure using Lightwave 8.5 proceduals? I can't come up with anything good enough that captures the sparkle. I don't ask for it very often, but I NEED HELP! I noticed someone made just what I'm looking for using Lightwave 9 nodes.

Captain Obvious
06-15-2006, 08:51 AM
If you have access to LW9, it should be a snap to create multi-layered specular effects using nodal. In 8.5, it's harder. The easiest way might be to render out two different specular passes: one with a high roughness and some noise applied to the specular channel, and one with a lower roughness and less noise. Then combine the two in Photoshop. You can use limited region to render out the tight hotspots more quickly.

royL
06-15-2006, 09:06 AM
try using a noise layer with a gradient layer as an alpha in incidence mode

munky
06-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi There,

How about $99
for the IFW nodal shaders collection

http://www.shaders.co.uk/ifw2_nodal/surfaces/index4.htm

this example page has the texture I think you are looking for.

edit sorry you are using 8.5 so you could just checkout the normal IFW2 collection

or the PShelf Metals collection from the worms of art

regards

paul

Tony3d
06-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Well, this is the best thing I came up with, and it's far from a metal flake. The thing is it has to be on black, and all surfaces will be flat.

byte_fx
06-16-2006, 05:52 AM
BRDF - Anisitropic - UVmap