PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request - Resume Render

Seraphim
02-17-2003, 07:59 PM
This is my humble resquest for the next LW. Have any of your every been hours into rendering a project and had the power flicker? Or Windows just decides to crash? Lightwave would kick every more arse if it could pause and resume the rendering process. Maybe take a hint from Download Managers:D ,

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Mylenium
02-18-2003, 12:36 AM
That would be useful, but I haven't seen it with any 3D app. The problem is that you would have to write temporary files permanently and these also would be very large. You would need info on which pixels were rendered last, the geometry, divers bufers etc.. Don't think we'll se that soon.

Mylenium

Capt Lightwave
02-18-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Seraphim
Lightwave would kick every more arse if it could pause and resume the rendering process.

Cheers!

Like a GetRight for rendering ?!? Sounds cool.

TBJ

JMarc
02-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Softimage's default renderer used to write each line of the rendered image to disk before it moved on to the next line and could pick up where it left off if it was interrupted. Pretty cool but of course it was a scanline renderer and LightWave's renderer is not. It seems like it would be much more complicated to pull off the same trick in LightWave.

I have no idea if this still works in XSI.

Epita
02-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Yeah, that would be cool. Esp for people with less great systems 9ohh no my GPU is almost as good as my CPU!!!) I like listing to music when i wait but cant because it is to heavy on my system.

Epita

Skonk
02-21-2003, 05:27 PM
U can just render to stills and if u have to stop it u just start it again from where it left off. Its a bad idea rendering directly to an avi or what ever cos if for example u had a power cut as it was wirting a frame it could mess up the whole avi.

James...

Matt
02-21-2003, 08:12 PM
even so, it would be a useful feature for stills, especially now we have radiosity which can take forever when rendering for print.

the number of times I've set some stills going overnight only to find in the morning it's halkway through the first one!!! I then have to cancel it to work in other processor hungry apps only to set it going for it to do the same again!

I then have to wait for the weekend to arrive!

being able to stop and save the render to carry on later would be very useful for me.

lord
02-22-2003, 03:33 AM
Better yet, A pause - Resume function.
That would make me very happy. :)

-EsHrA-
02-22-2003, 07:55 AM
yes...and aborted renders should be shown in Imageviewer but with an option to set this function off...

Cheers,

-EsH-