PDA

View Full Version : Universal Binary

dfp1
06-14-2006, 01:48 PM
I may have missed this but will 9.0 be released as a Universal Binary for the Intel MAC. If not, any word on when?

Just bought one after using Windows since 3.1 and being a system admin for over 20+ years and Yes, I'm bloody lovin it.

Thanks in advance

Don.

Captain Obvious
06-14-2006, 02:04 PM
They've implied that it will happen some time during the LW9 cycle, though 9.0 will NOT be a universal binary.

And just an FYI: It's "Mac," not "MAC." ;)

RonGC
06-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Newtek have publicly stated in these forums that they would be releasing a Universal Binary version during the Version 9 cycle. It will not be with the initial 9.0 release but probably towards the end of this year. Fingers crossed:)

Hope this helps. I too am waiting for this, big time.

Oops, see i was beat on the post, sorry.

Welcome to the Mac, hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

Ron

Defiance
06-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Does this mean that it won't run on an Intel Mac? I want to get one of those, and I don't want to use Windows that much (Mac + Linux would be great).

RonGC
06-14-2006, 10:41 PM
LW will run on the Mactel, just in rosetta which means slower. However several people are using bootcamp to run XP and lw on the mactel at full speed. It is a workaround until LW goes Universal Binary and we can run it at full speed.

Ron

Captain Obvious
06-15-2006, 05:51 AM
You have three choices:

Run Lightwave via Rosetta. This is slow.

Use Boot Camp to boot into Windows, and run Lightwave there. This means you'll have to run Windows.

Buy a Power Mac G5. Less future-proof than an Intel Mac, but a lot more now-proof.

BazC
06-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Slightly OT but does anyone know if Bootcamp is reliable now? I heard horror stories of people getting stuck in Windows! :eek:

anieves
06-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Slightly OT but does anyone know if Bootcamp is reliable now? I heard horror stories of people getting stuck in Windows! :eek:

A co-worker here has a brand new Macbook pro and he hasn't had any problems. He is playing Oblivion and opened a couple 3d apps to show me.

Now Bootcamp is still in beta so you know how that goes...

BazC
06-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the info!