PDA

View Full Version : Very new to lightwave- a few questions

Greyseasunder
05-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Hi everyone,
Longtime dabbler with low-end 3d and graphics programs.
Just made the jump to Lightwave and just got my purchase in the mail today.

Questions for you folks out there- now I don't intend to start any flame wars with this, just looking for some honest mature opinions.

1. Mac vs PC- I've got a pretty powerful retail dell at work, and a low-end (Dell Precision Workstation 330) machine at home. I've used macs (and love em), I've used windows boxes (and love em) and was wondering, for lightwave, whats the best solution to go with? I'm at a place where I could afford a top end G4 or a top-end Dell Workstation (going with Dell as I get a substantial discount on their product where I work) and need to hear some honest opinions as to which is the best route to go with where Lightwave is concerned- fastest renders, easiest to use, least buggy etc. Help?

2. Good tutorials- Wheres a good place to start to learn lightwave? Any suggestions for websites, books, downloads etc is helpful. I'm reading through the manual now, but doesn't look as though its going to be helpful from a tutorial point of view.

Thanks for any help you folks can give!
Sincerely,
Greyseasunder

Global Hawk
05-30-2003, 03:08 PM
Greetings Greyseasunder! You are going to love Lightwave! It's allot of fun.

Now Mac Vs. PC. Hum. That could start allot of fires. Personaly I work on a PC, and quite enjoy it! The only thing I can tell you is that I'v seen many plug-ins and such that are for PC only.
I would guess that LW runs about the same on ether system. It just depends on what you are going to want.

As for tutorials, Newtek's web site has some good ones. Take a look at www.flay.com or www.lwg3d.org ,that is where I have gotten most of my tutorials.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

TerryFord
05-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Greyseasunder

1. Mac vs PC-

Not going to touch that one :) except to say that quite a few third party/free plugins aren't available for the Mac.

2. Good tutorials

NewTeks own tutorials;
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html
Tons of third party tutorials;
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/
Essential bookmark (plugins/news/tutorials);
http://www.flay.com/start.cfm

Dan Ablan books are highly regarded, I'm not up on other authors...
http://www.danablan.com/

Regards,
Terry

takkun
05-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Greyseasunder
I'm at a place where I could afford a top end G4 or a top-end Dell Workstation (going with Dell as I get a substantial discount on their product where I work) and need to hear some honest opinions as to which is the best route to go with where Lightwave is concerned- fastest renders, easiest to use, least buggy etc. Help? I use a Dell with lightwave and so far it's been a great computer, just make sure to get lots of RAM and a nVidia video card.

sbrandt
05-30-2003, 07:16 PM
Use Dan Ablan's training materials.

He's a terrific author and presenter and he can respond to your purchase questions practically in person, right here in the NewTek forums. And he's very approachable. ...nice guy.

electroNIX
05-30-2003, 10:56 PM
I would say, stick with the Operating System you are used to...

But with those "PCs", you might change your OS more easily... I dont think/know of any alternative OS for MACs...

The new breed of Linux is already quite a "threat" to Windows... but right now you still have to be a "nerd" to get the most out of it... but this will change...

And LW seems to run very well on Linux...
Maybe we could run Lightwave on a PS2? (just kidding;) )
I personally will change with the next Linux Generation (95% sure)...

So if the Freedom of OS selection is of importance to you... go for the Dell...

Sven Pampel
05-30-2003, 11:38 PM
I know some peeps wont like this comment but the OpenGl performance on a dell machine will be far superior over a mac .

Sven

Matt
05-31-2003, 01:04 AM
it's a whole big can of worms, but I used to be Mac but went PC and I've never looked back.

but each to their own!