PDA

View Full Version : Energy Bolt

shockwave
06-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi all. I am experimenting with ways to make an energy bolts like the ones seen in the Star Wars films that are fired from Blasters. I was wondering what might work best.

Thanks!:D

cobaltman
06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Create a small emitter for each gun. In this case, metaball voxels would be best.

Each emitter should be the kind that will react to a dynamic. This will allow you to control when it will fire. You also need to set the particle frequency very low so that particles are limited in frequency. Don't set it too low, just enough to get the right RPM for the gun's autofire.

I think you can add a glow effect to HV, but I'm not sure. You should also increase the luminosity on the voxel surface to help the glow seem more radient.

You can also stretch the metaball voxels based on speed of the particles. This will probably be better than particle blur considering what you are making.

cobaltman
06-14-2006, 10:47 PM
I had just got back from work a little while ago and I checked for a glow option for HV. I din't find any option for making the glow. The Advanced tab was a bit different than in Surface Editor. Oh well...

Still, I'm not giving up yet; I still have another idea to try. You can use gradients in the appropriate surface items to fake glowing. In this case, you would use the Incidence Angle parameter. Use this type of gradient in Color, Luminosity, and Transparency items specifically.

Hope that helps.

shockwave
06-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for trying.:D

Defiance
06-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Composite the bolts separately. It's probably the easiest way to get the glow.

THREEL
06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi Shockwave,

How's it going? Let's run this up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes. When I was first starting LW, I wanted to do the same thing. I found a tutorial that helped me to construct laser beams (energy bolts) that are decent looking. Look at the attached files and let me know what you think.:D Here's the just of it: Make a flat plane in modeler, a lot longer in the Z-axis, than the X-axis. Give the plane an image surface like the one I sent you. You can make this image in a draw or paint program. Rotate (y) this plane to a 45 degree angle, then mirror (shift+v) the plane, so it resembles a long X. Take this model into layout, and add a distant light to one end, usually the end the furthest away from the camera. Parent the light to the long X. Then work out the different numbers for light intensity, lense flare options, etc..., until you see what you like. Once you get the "look" you want, you can move it and strecth it to make short or long laser blasts.

I don't remember where I got this tutorial anymore, so I'm hoping you can figure it out from the scene that I sent you.:thumbsup:
Please, let me know what you think of this approach.

THREEL (AL)

This works pretty good for Light Sabers, too!:)

lilrayray77
06-18-2006, 12:34 PM
I was playing around, and figured out how to do this, and it is quite simple really (hopefully it is not the same as what threel was saying). Anyway try this:

1. In modeler create a 2 point poly
2. open it in layout
3 in surface Editor set luminosity to 200%, and diffuse to zero
4. pick a nice color
5. then in the advanced tab, set glow intensity to 100%
6. In image processing, Click "enable glow" and set it to someting over 100%
7. Turn on anti-aliasing, render, and voila.

Using this technique, I was able to create this in aboout a minute or two:

kilvano
06-18-2006, 01:53 PM
someone did a wideo tut on this. Ill try and find it and post the link.

Kil

shockwave
06-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks THREEL. I will give it a go. I read about somthing similar but havent tried it yet but it sounds like the tut for creating a muzzel burst.

lilrayray77
That was the first thing I tried but didnt like the diameter of the shot. What I have been getting away with is an elongated sphere thats 50% transparent and inside it is another half its size of a lighter colour. Both are lit up with 100 luminosity,125% glow and an 8 pixel size. Same idea but with a bigger object.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.:thumbsup:

lilrayray77
06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
yeah, you wont get the right effect with a multipoly object.

byte_fx
06-20-2006, 01:06 PM
That's a Dave Jerrard tut from one of his earlier books.

byte_fx

Hi Shockwave,

How's it going? Let's run this up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes. When I was first starting LW, I wanted to do the same thing. I found a tutorial that helped me to construct laser beams (energy bolts) that are decent looking. Look at the attached files and let me know what you think.:D Here's the just of it: Make a flat plane in modeler, a lot longer in the Z-axis, than the X-axis. Give the plane an image surface like the one I sent you. You can make this image in a draw or paint program. Rotate (y) this plane to a 45 degree angle, then mirror (shift+v) the plane, so it resembles a long X. Take this model into layout, and add a distant light to one end, usually the end the furthest away from the cThat' a amera. Parent the light to the long X. Then work out the different numbers for light intensity, lense flare options, etc..., until you see what you like. Once you get the "look" you want, you can move it and strecth it to make short or long laser blasts.

I don't remember where I got this tutorial anymore, so I'm hoping you can figure it out from the scene that I sent you.:thumbsup:
Please, let me know what you think of this approach.

THREEL (AL)

This works pretty good for Light Sabers, too!:)