PDA

View Full Version : New Tablet?

ShawnStovall
06-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I am thinking about getting a tablet, I have found some for cheap (<100) but am not sure if it will be good to use with LightWave. Does anyone recommend anything or should I just stick with a mouse?

Sekhar
06-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I love using tablet with LW (and everything else, really). I have two: Intuos and Intuos2, both are great. For <$100, I'd recommend Graphire4 (I think that's the latest) - I'd used I think Graphire2 before and liked that as well.

Some tablet pros over mouse: (1) better to navigate/interact (2) easier on the hand (ergonomically - it made a HUGE difference for me) (3) pressure control, if you also need to draw free hand

Bottom line, STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!

parm
06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Get the tablet.

For modelling, it's much easier than using a mouse. Dragging and pulling points around, making selections are all more precise and quicker using a pen.

Plus , using your tablet does not exclude your multi-button mouse. You can still switch between input devices at will. Personally I find it easier using the mouse more in Layout. But for Photoshop, Illustrator and Modeler it's the Wacom all the way.

Bog
06-14-2006, 01:13 AM
If the tablet's a Wacom, then it'll be one of the little ones - that's fine, they've got boatloads of resolution on 'em, and noodling with subdivs using a tablet is sheer joy.

However, if it's *not* a Wacom (I got a quite large cheapie tablet last year), then it's likely to be pretty grim. Being a control freak when it comes to interfaces, I hate it when tablets suffer from, e.g., jitter. That is, you hold the stylus in one place and the cursor wibbles around a dozen-odd pixel locus.

So - small, accurate cheap Wacom? Go for it. Even if you don't like using it in LW, your textures will love you.

SCS5
06-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Get the Wacom!..Don't even think about any-other tablet manufacturer, regardless of price!:thumbsup:

ShawnStovall
06-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys!:thumbsup: I think I'm going to go with the Wacom Graphire4 4x5 Tablet. Thanks for all the help!:D

Now if I can only find a place for it on the desk.:stumped:

steamthunk
06-14-2006, 02:46 PM
If you haven't already bought it I recently did a write up on using Graphire 4 6x8 in this post:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51753&page=2&highlight=graphire

May or may not influence your decision, but thought I'd bring it up.

Signal to Noise
06-14-2006, 02:55 PM
That was a good little review, steamthunk.

I have the Intuos 6x8 tablet. Now I like it but like steamthunk mentions it took me quite a while to get the hang of using the pen with the tablet as well as feeling comfortable with it. I would recommend anyone considering a tablet is to find a store that has some demo models you can play with. Or a good return policy if you find you don't like it.

ShawnStovall
06-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Thank you for the review, I think I have made up my mind to get one.

Defiance
06-14-2006, 09:57 PM
I'd actually try out some other tablet brand before buying into the monopoly that is Wacom. I mean, has any of you actually tried out one of the newer Aiptek tablets? If you haven't, then you're doing yourself a disservice by only recommending Wacoms. Monopolies aren't healthy for the market.

That said, I do have a Wacom myself, which was on sale for a good price, so I didn't check out any other tablets (it had to do with the fact that I know the Wacom works under Linux and the fact that the price was good). I don't find it that great for Lightwave, but for the GIMP and Inkscape, it's pretty good.

Bog
06-15-2006, 01:25 AM
Defiance,

I haven't tried the Aipteks, no - I can't actually remember the brand of the non-Wacom tablet I'd tried. I agree entirely that a monopoly is bad, but if Wacom has a huge slice of the marketshare then that can mainly be put down to their product being superior.

The Aiptek porducts (their typo, not mine ;) ) look decent enough from the photos, but I'd have to try one to say how good it was.