PDA

View Full Version : old horse=)

paintboy
06-13-2006, 04:36 PM
hey guys long time since i have been around here.
i have been using LW7.5d for quite a while now.
just got a new g5x4 and lw7.5 is working fine so far?
but its only been a day or so.. so far so good
but thinking of bumping up to the current.(knowing 9 is on the way)
have looked at some other software but havent exactly been bowled over.
so here i am back looking for input on LW 8.5 under X.4.6
any input appreciated....

Scott C. Zupek
06-13-2006, 08:38 PM
im still broke from my dual core g4(32 bit) purchase but I know ALOT of people have liked the render times gained from the quad processor. 8.5 is worth the upgrade, considering you get a free 9.0 upgrade(if the offer is still going). Plus it'll get you used to some of the changes and buttons not being in the menu bar on the right.

Instead of selling my house to buy the quad processor, im buildling a quad core(2x dual core) opteron 285 that'll outspec the g5 quad. I am totally jealous of your system and am running the same version. Do the upgrade. Its worth it.. turn your Multithreading up to 8 under rendering options:) what GPU did you get?

paintboy
06-14-2006, 09:38 AM
ok lemme be more specific....
open gl performance.... any gains?
stability? renderspeed gains?
feature parity...is it still lopsided.
mac to pc or pc to mac issues? gone or still there?
does stuff like if 2 textures still work?
and lil' modeler workflo tools like fi's extender and fi'swrinkle?
scott i am moving from a dual 1000 to the quad5
its kinda spooky fast, i stayed in the middle with the gpu.
when you say missing buttons, i am assuming the interface has changed?

Scott C. Zupek
06-14-2006, 05:58 PM
inteface has been reorganized. It takes a little bit to get used to but the OPEN GL times are much faster which, in my opinion, makes the upgrade worth it right there. render speed gains = yes

parity = dunno

I've only run into to one issue and it is ibook to powermac g4(dual 1.0). two textures still works. Overall worth the upgrade in my opion. Plus the workflow is much smoother so I can sit @ my machine for hours not even noticing how long I have spent on it!