PDA

View Full Version : Why do they make this so difficult?!!!

Scott C. Zupek
06-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Christ, I do network(on windows) for a living. My lightwave is installed on my macs. I have plenty of processor power here @ work and i want to use my work PC to NETWORK Render on my ibook(where i have LW8.5 installed).

I read the **** sticky and its a complete nightmare. They shoud windows to windows(easy), mac to mac(easy) but not mac(host) to windows(client/renderer).

I have cmdLine in the Programs Directory on my mac. I have "LIGHTWAVE8" as a mapped drive(called LIGHTWAVE 8, since mac doesnt do the C:\ D:\ etc thing). What are the next steps? I cant share my root of my MAC on my windows PC. I just want to use the processing power I have.

To give you an idea how frustrating this is, I bought ScreamerNet like 2 years ago(not screamernet II) and I NEVER got the stupid thing to work.

This should be an EASY PROCESS Newtek. Not 4 hours(the time i have spent on it today before giving up).... and cetainly not 2 years(the amount of time i have tried time and time again to get it to work)...

sorry, in case you cant tell...its pissing me off...enough to not recommend it to anyone @ a renderfarm!

Celshader
06-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Can Macs see UNC paths?
http://www.pixelizm.com/LightNet_tute/LightNet_Tute.html

Scott C. Zupek
06-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Can Macs see UNC paths?
http://www.pixelizm.com/LightNet_tute/LightNet_Tute.html

im running lightwave on a mac and to get to a windows machine(since microsoft doesn't like to share stuff) i have to type smb://computername/sharename

Red_Oddity
06-14-2006, 03:38 AM
The problems i always ran into, was the way the systems did directory breaks in the scenes, and since Screamernet doesn't change those on the fly for the target node's system, it doesn't work out of the box.

On Windows it would be /
On Mac OS9 it would be :
On Mac OSX it was something else aswell, don't remember anymore.

brayne
06-15-2006, 03:20 AM
On Windows it would be /
On Mac OS9 it would be :
On Mac OSX it was something else aswell, don't remember anymore.
Yes, OSX is : as well.

Someone may correct me, but to my knowledge you can't render to a PC from a Mac host straight out of the box for that very reason.

djlithium
06-17-2006, 11:40 PM
UNC paths are the way to go on a mix system/os network.
That way netbios and tcp/ip can handle the data paths for the content and even the configs, but each screamernet node in their bat files for launch have to point to their own LW8.cfg etc so they load the plug-ins and launch the executables appropriate for the OS they are on while pulling the content from a single source as well as find the command directory where they pick up jobs.