PDA

View Full Version : How do I place the animated particles back for compositing video?

G the STAR
06-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Here this is for compositing clips to make a video. I have two clips. One of a person singing. Another is starry particles like going through the space. Now I have problem.. Starry particles scene isnt being a background but in the front of person's face. So how can I turn the particles scene into a background?

There is a menu for compositing. I havent accomplished to turn the stars back behind the person instead?

Help me please :-).

ChrisPitts
06-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Is the singer on green screen, or a solid color background, or is it live action you've captured without green screen?

If you have the singer on green screen, you can use the singer as the foreground image, and key out the green. If it's just live action, without green screen, it's going to get complicated beyond my limited skills.

G the STAR
06-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Yes, singer is on green background... i gotta try that... i did with black background.. I didnt accomplish this.. but maybe green background would be better, hmm.

G the STAR
06-13-2006, 11:42 PM
I just tried this. with green background to alpha/key out. And the particles scene is still in the front than being a background? Hmm, maybe I should render particles into a file. then set it as background.. But I am sure that there is a way for me to edit and animate the particles through time and use the actor same time.

If you know, let me know! :-)

faulknermano
06-14-2006, 03:56 AM
i dont think you should use LightWave as a compositing app. i think you should get a composting program like after effects or combusition or fusion. you can then render out the particles and layer the singer and the particles: key out the singer's greenscreen and place the rendered particles behind.

ChrisPitts
06-14-2006, 09:24 AM
i dont think you should use LightWave as a compositing app. i think you should get a composting program like after effects or combusition or fusion. you can then render out the particles and layer the singer and the particles: key out the singer's greenscreen and place the rendered particles behind.

That technique is exactly correct. You can do it in Lightwave, by keying out the green, and using the singer as the foreground, but VT[4], or even <gasp!> 8~ another editing software, might give more options to play with.

Not that Lightwave can't do it, of course, it's just not as specialized. :D

G the STAR
06-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Alright, thank you for sharing this with me. I am going to look into other softwares which are better for compostiting the movies.

G the STAR
06-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Do you know a good source for me to review to see which best software for me for compositing the movie and with its kind of effect? I am more into particle dymantics for now and compositing the movies too.

hunter
06-16-2006, 12:06 PM
You can render out your particles scene to an image sequence, load it as the background in compositing tab and map the singer to a polygon in the forground your singer will be infront of your particles. It sounds as if your singer is in the backgroung of your particle scene and therefore the particle will always been in front.

G the STAR
06-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah, i just made it with lightwave. I didnt know why it didnt work last time.. It must be because what i have done. Ok, now it got me curious... what compositing movie software will do??? Better in color correction? effects included? What does compositing movie software have? I wonder.

byte_fx
06-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Depends on platform.

Final Cut Pro and Shake are Apple's entries.

Avid covers both PC amd Mac.

Adobe Premier on PC.

There are several others but these seem to be the most used.

byte_fx

faulknermano
06-17-2006, 10:11 PM
i can recommend combustion and after effects (in that order). fusion interests me but i do not have first-hand experience. f you're into particles, combustion is a great pick because not only is a good all-around compositor, it has one of the best particle systems around (because it's particle illusion).

EDIT:

What does compositing movie software have?

there is a difference between compositing software and editing software. in compositing software, the workflow is to combine elements (2D or 3D) into a final plate for rendering so everything seems like it's one scene. in compositing software you have a lot of control and flexibility in color-correction, image manipulation, time manipulation, other 2D effects like particles, tracking, stabilising, rotoscoping, etc etc. combustion, shake, fusion, after effects are compositing software.

editing software is meant to piece sequences together so that it forms a story (of sorts ;)). that means the rendered pieces must already be composited. you only tie in one sequence after the other using editing software. of course, some editing apps are fancy they can do blending stuff, tracking, rotoscoping, etc, that is similar to a compositing software. premiere and final cut pro are examples of editing software. but you have to check their feature list to determine exactly their capabilities regarding compositing. but their features in editing are usually standard.

G the STAR
06-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Gotcha! Thanks for words.. Now I see.. Hmm, I will like to check on combusition because of particles..