PDA

View Full Version : blank windows using 7.5 on a titanium

jamie
02-17-2003, 07:32 PM
I recently upgraded to 7.5 from 6.5
I'm getting weird blank windows, can't see
the view markings, the the program seems to go dead, though the side and top menus are still
visible. Any thoughts? Seems like an opengl
problem
thanks

Miles
02-18-2003, 12:37 AM
FWIW, I'm using LW7.5 on a PBTi500 when on the road with OSX 1.5 1GB RAM. No blank window issues. Maybe try a clean install after removing all signs of the previous install. Also, do a Scan of the Plug-Ins folder from both the Layout and Modler apps then quit and restart. Hope that helps.

Meshbuilder
02-18-2003, 01:15 AM
I know this can happend when I maximise the LW window.. Size the window by hand, NOT by clicking the green button on top off the window..

R2D2
02-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Check the topic "windows the size of a house" and see if that's what you're experiencing. Also, I've had problems with my views redrawing the grid (and other weirdness) if I don't change to "simple wireframe points" and "simple wireframe edges".

Later,
R2

royL
02-19-2003, 03:51 PM
I think is a graphic card bug, cuz when this happens
Picture 2.pdf

I quit LW and try to open Quake and it crashes.
after that I have to reboot.

I'm using a PB G4/500mhz, 512mb

royL
02-19-2003, 03:54 PM
I think is a graphic card bug, cuz when this happens
(see attachement)

I quit LW and try to open Quake and it crashes.
after that I have to reboot.

I'm using a PB G4/500mhz, 512mb

Miles
02-19-2003, 04:41 PM
royL, It looks as though we have similar PBs (Ti500), but I'm not seeing the blank screens issue here. The only hardware diff I'm seeing is that you're using 512 of RAM and I'm using 1GB and/or I think Apple had a hardware "Rev a/b" during the 500 time frame so maybe it's something to with those changes.

I'd be happy to help you narrow the possible fualt down by comparing hardware and results. Can you reproduce the blank screens via specific steps and note them for me so I can try out them here. BTW, I'm not a gamer so I haven't the game app to switch to and crash the system with as you noted above, so if you can confine the steps to use with LW that would help trouble shoot if it's a LW issue. BTW, I'm using LW v7.5 with OSX 1.5 so that too would be worth comparing results/set up configs with. Also, let me know what your system stats are (Logic Board Rev, OS v?, etc.) and I can compare them. Last, Do you have access to barrow another 512 RAM just to try and see if that helps?

royL
02-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Hi Miles,

Well, the bug appears mainly while working in full screen, suddenly stops refreshing the screen and all viewports get blank, even if I'm in wireframe mode with a bounding box threshold of 1000, it doesn't matter if I relaunch the app, even if I relogin the problem continues until I reboot.

Actually I don't have to run a game to crash the machine, I just have to wait until the screensaver kick in to watch it crash, then I have to reboot.

Even with LW 6.5 have this problem

Im usig a PB G4 500/100mhz
Machine model=PowerBook G4 (version = 11.3)
Boot ROM info=4.1.8f5
System V. Mac OS X 10.2.4 (6I32)
Darwin Kernel Version 6.4: Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

Also I've noticed that when using the external monitor (Because sometimes I plug an external monitor and keyboard leaving the machine closed so only one monitor is running at a time) the scrensaver looks very jagged.

And no I don't have access to more ram.

Hope this isn't a hardware i$$ue :D

Miles
02-20-2003, 07:00 PM
Hi again, Sorry for the delay in checking this out here for you all, other events held up my efforts to help.

Looking at your sytem info above the only diff I can see is the fact you're using the newer OSX and I'm still using v1.5. As far as hardware, again it appears the extra RAM is all I have diff than your sys too.

So, my results are still neg on reproducing blank windows as you show above, BUT I did manage to get LW to crash when I used the QUAD GUI you show your using in your image. I should note using the quad view only crashed while on some scene files that used OGL. For example, with the LW installed Scene > MeniThings > Dumpster.lws file I was able to crash LW every time after I changed my display settings to the quad view. Other GUI views 3/1, etc. worked fine. Strange... Maybe some others here can test the same scene file in the Quad interface view on various other systems and confirm if these display issues are specific to our PowerBooks or if it's happening via other system configs too.

royL
02-26-2003, 11:18 AM
It goes blank anyway.

I'm doing a sys reinstall, hope this works
javascript:smilie(':confused:')