PDA

View Full Version : creative funk

tonypete
06-13-2006, 11:42 AM
OK, so last week I hit a big deadline for some productions and now I am suffering from the 'post' let-down. I seems every time I pass a deadline I have this down period where I am in sort of a creative funk. The problem is, I have another big deadline (Actually 3) looming right over my head and I have to get rolling ASAP:devil: .

So my question to you is, how do you guys get rolling again creatively? Any tips or tricks that I could try out?

evenflcw
06-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Make believe the deadline is tomorrow.

EDIT:
OK seriously... Just start working with it nomatter how indifferent you feel at the moment. Working will for the most part get you into the creative mood you feel you need to be in to do the work (sort of a catch22). So the problem is often just setting yourself down and getting started. Give it 15 minutes or so and your creativity should hopefully start flowing. Some say you sortof need to jumpstart creativity and the right brain because the left brain is dominant. Some do doodles others just start working on whathever they need done. The point is that by forcing yourself to do creative work you'll activate the right brain and it will start taking a more active role in your thoughtprocess and you'll get into the flow eventually.

KillMe
06-13-2006, 12:49 PM
are the jobs you've got to do still totally unrestrictive? actaully come to think of of it even within some restrictions you can play with this idea

i read it in a magizine recently and it works

open photoshop and jsut take a big *** brush seems to work best with a sharp edge - and start sribling - see an interesting shape and pounce on it =)

BusyWolf
06-14-2006, 12:00 AM
So my question to you is, how do you guys get rolling again creatively? Any tips or tricks that I could try out?

That is why I like my graphics tablet. I can just start playing around with nothing particular in mind and see something. I pick that thing out and start building on it. I do one thing then say that looks ok now what can I do to improve it and the juices start to flow.
Here this is from a poem I have started, another form of art:

As I write, ink flows like honey to my words,
Words create the sweet nectar of my flowering poem;
A bee departs the flowers to make honey anew.

Ronald Drinkard, 2006
Me
Try to apply it Ihope I am a little help -- well at least I tried , :D

Bog
06-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Oh, man tell me about it! It took me *years* to figure out the pattern of Post-Gig Blues. It hits me really hard, but I've gotten better at managing it, so the following morning I'm fine.

It might seem silly, but treat yourself to a good night out. I don't just mean go and get drunk, I mean go and have a good meal at someplace you like. Go and catch a show or a concert - even a good movie will do in a pinch. Reward yourself. It really does help deal with that deep-rooted "Well, now what do I do with myself?" feeling that hits after a deadline.

It's almost like Phantom Limb Syndrome, when you're mentally casting about for the next part of your task... and it's all done. It's also a great time to do a backup of your project files, and maybe take a few notes on how the job went, what you've learned from it, what you might do differently next time. Is there anything in the gig that you want in your showreel? If so, is there a buff-and-polish you want to give any elements of it? Jot it down. I find that not only helps tie off the job and bring it to a natural conclusion, rather than just popping out the other side of it with a "what the heck do I do now?" feeling, but it also makes a lot of pro sense.

Above all - don't worry about it! The easiest way to blunt your creativity is to stress about whether or not you're creative. Just look over the project material for your other gigs, and just look for a point of entry - which one can you see a nice straightforward model to whip up to get the ball rolling? Play with pencil and paper for a while, just noodling around with rough shapes and bits of shading.

Then, as glib as it sounds, Just Start Modelling. You need to keep the momentum up, so try to segue from tidying up after your last gig and stepping into your new one as smoothly as possible.

Oh, and tidy your desk and workroom - get rid of all the debris of the previous job and start fresh. Whilst a permenantly tidy desk is the sign of a diseased mind, how do you know you've made it properly messy if it didn't start clean? ;)

flakester
06-14-2006, 03:45 AM
Whilst a permenantly tidy desk is the sign of a diseased mind, how do you know you've made it properly messy if it didn't start clean? ;)

Amen to that one!! :thumbsup:

I'd be inclined to agree with Bog on the 'night out' thing too. Though I do like to get merry in with the deal! :p

Pen/pencil and paper is the best way to start it flowing for me. That and good coffee - If it works for Gary Larson, it's good enough for me!!

Good luck, and keep the good work going.

flakester.

Verlon
06-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Quit surfing the net and get to work! :)

Sheesh, I could probably be running Pixar by now if I spent all of my internet time honing my 3D skills (that much brute force could overcome any lack of talent imagineable).

tonypete
06-14-2006, 05:44 AM
You'd think that after doing this for nearly 15 years I'd have a pattern down.

Thanks for the tips.

I like the idea of "Blowing off steam" by getting away from it. Sometimes a change of pace is the best thing to get you rolling again. I think that I am going to play hookie and spend a day in the mountains.

I also think that pencil and paper helps a lot to. Looking at a computer monitor can get old really fast. Taking my sketchbook outside and sitting under a tree can be very inspiring.

I often feel that this is the 'curse' of being an artist, that constant sense of being driven by a creative pull (the muse). But I would trade it for the world.

Thanks again. I look forward to what others have to say.

Wonderpup
06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
I ran into this a lot when I was painting landscapes- big detailed things in acrylics. The answer I came up with is 'overlap' . So as I was getting toward the end of one piece I would begin to mentaly work on the next, doing quick sketches ect, so by the time I finished the present work I had already built up a bit of excitement about the next one.