PDA

View Full Version : ****ty installer

harhar
05-30-2003, 12:11 PM
the lightwave 7.5c installer's repair function deletes everything in my lightwave root dir.

Rei
05-30-2003, 01:30 PM
It does warn you about that, should always have good backups. Also dont stor things in the LW folder, keep plugs eslwhere and a folder per project.

harhar
05-30-2003, 05:32 PM
that's like when windows keep crashing on you, and the technician tells you to constantly backup your hard drive and never mind the constant crashing.

It's obviously a bug, and needs to be fixed.

rabid pitbull
05-30-2003, 05:39 PM
a bug??

joke right? I mean i can understand your frustration, but it is recreating those folders at your request. That is what happens when you install\repair programs.... just replacing existing folder and contents with the original.

common sense issue here.

:rolleyes:

harhar
05-30-2003, 05:47 PM
no it doesn't, it deletes everything in my lightwave root dir, include Lightwave's own files such as modeler.exe and layout.exe. I've used previous versions of Lightwave uninstaller's repair, they simply compare my lightwave's dir against files in Lightwave installer's list, if it's not there, or different in size, it copy it again.

Aegis
05-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Boy, we need this on a "sticky" thread...

The LightWave (and Aura and HTML help) installer will UNINSTALL items that are not checked in the custom settings for the installer.

Example:

I install LightWave 7.5c and uncheck the "documentation" 'cause I think I won't need it - later on I decide I do so I run the installer again (or repair from Add/Remove Programs) and lo and behold the checkbox for LightWave is ticked - thinks I "Hmm... don't wanna install that again" so I uncheck it - *bam* LightWave disappears 'cause the installer thinks I want to remove it.

The moral of this comedy of errors? Don't use custom install!

harhar
05-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Don't use custom install!

And lose my ability to select what I want to install and deselect what I don't want to install? NEVER!!!

harhar
05-30-2003, 08:40 PM
I install LightWave 7.5c and uncheck the "documentation" 'cause I think I won't need it - later on I decide I do so I run the installer again (or repair from Add/Remove Programs) and lo and behold the checkbox for LightWave is ticked - thinks I "Hmm... don't wanna install that again" so I uncheck it - *bam* LightWave disappears 'cause the installer thinks I want to remove it.

BTW, this isn't what happened to me. I had a file I think that was corrupted, I deleted it, and used the repair function. I didn't change any custom install settings, I didn't uncheck any thing that's checked, or check any new checkbox.

electroNIX
05-30-2003, 11:10 PM
I just selected everything from the list and it installed fine... no problems, no deleted files... everything ok...

Matt
05-31-2003, 01:07 AM
strange . . . I have my entire content in my Lightwave folder, I've installed 7.5b and 7.5c over the top and it didn't delete any of my files, if it did I'd have lost everything!!!

worked fine for me.

harhar
05-31-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm talking about the repair function.

mrunion
05-31-2003, 01:50 PM
Unless I'm stupid (and that's a possibility, let me tell you!) the installer was NOT written by NewTek. Complain to the installer company if you want, but Newtek didn't write it (I *think*).

Also, Try to write an installer on your own someday and see how hard it is. Beleive me, I've had to deal with that -- graphics is a hobby, but programming pays the bills. Writing an installer isn't all that easy.

harhar
05-31-2003, 04:57 PM
the installer was NOT written by NewTek. Complain to the installer company if you want, but Newtek didn't write it (I *think*)

The installshield builder was written by installshield company, installshield builder is a visual installer maker like Visual c++, use use codes and script to program your installer, then compile the installer. So yes, Newtek made the installer. I highly doubt the bug is part of the installshield builder.

Also, Try to write an installer on your own someday and see how hard it is. Beleive me, I've had to deal with that -- graphics is a hobby, but programming pays the bills. Writing an installer isn't all that easy.

Newtek doesn't write the installer from the ground up. They use Installshield's simple scripting language to control the installer's behavior. And then drag and drop everything together and then compile. It's pretty simple since I've done it many times before.

blinblue
05-31-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by mrunion
Unless I'm stupid (and that's a possibility, let me tell you!) the installer was NOT written by NewTek. Complain to the installer company if you want, but Newtek didn't write it (I *think*).

It require very little work to have someone install your software, if you had to create everything yourself then it would be a pain, but you don't. You just tell Installshield (or some other similar program) the files you want to install, and where to install them and you are done. It is really easy, all you need is the programming components for it.