PDA

View Full Version : Import of ai-file... noobie?

Rayek
06-13-2006, 06:04 AM
So I tried importing an .ai-file into lightwave, but encountered a problem: my illustrator drawing has both sharp corners and rounded curves. No matter what setting I try, the whole shape is 'rounded' after import. Sharp corners aren't there anymore.

Is this some error on my part? Or a lightwave 'feature'? All the other 3d-apps I tried (hex, cinema) import this spline in a correct manner.

Help!

R.

Wonderpup
06-13-2006, 03:20 PM
I seem to remember that Lightwave only likes older Illustrator files- can you resave to an older fomat? Or maybe try exporting an eps file from illustrator?

ChrisPitts
06-13-2006, 03:27 PM
You don't really want to try to import anything from a version higher than 6-8 of Illustrator. You should be able to output as the legacy format, and it should work.

-Chris
NewTek Technical Support Analyst

Rayek
06-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Ah, but I tried every version I could... Legacy 3.0 ai, 3.0 eps. I'm stumped as to why only Lightwave seems to have this problem. All vertices are converted to bezier curves in Lightwave, even the sharp corners.

Silkrooster
06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Sounds like you are importing as splines instead of polygons & polylines. Splines will evaluate the points and create the curve. To get your sharp edges, you can either add a point on each side of that point and move them on top of the orignal point, or you can select the point, then go to polygon mode select the spline and use the split command.
Is splines necessary for what you are doing, would polygons or 2 point polys be more beneficial?
Silk

Sekhar
06-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Are you sure the Convert to isn't set to Spline Curves?

Rayek
06-14-2006, 04:37 AM
Yes, splines are necessary, because I want to use LWcad to work with them.

But I've found another solution:

1) import the curve with 'closed Polygons & PolyLines"
2) convert to curves with LWcad
3) offset, edit, etc. the curves with LWcad

Don't we just LOVE LWcad? :-)

Still, I think it's kind of odd that only Lightwave, of several apps I tried, isn't able to import an eps-file with the curves intact. Without LWcad this would've been a problem for me.

Thank you for your kind replies.

R.