PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on a laptop

KSTAR
06-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Ok Lightwavers, Im in the market for a laptop. Anybody have some suggestions for a laptop that Lightwave will perfom well on? Im trying to stay in the $1000-$1500 range.

Skinner3D
06-13-2006, 06:47 AM
:D Hello, I am in the same boat as you at the moment. Your best bet is to go to the major computer dealers websites and look at their higher end laptops. Don't look at their low end laptops and expect to upgrade. There is a non profit organization called Consumer Reports out there that completely and fully tests just about everything. I went to their website, but you really can't get anywhere if you haven't subscribed. I will get my family to send me the results of the laptop tests. Do you have email, or do you want me to post the results here?

Andyjaggy
06-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Don't buy a sony, Lightwave runs like aboslute crap on my Sony Vaio. It works okay until you flip on Sub-D's and then runs like a turtle.

Skonk
06-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Thats probably down to the naff ATI chips they use in a lot of the sony machines. What ever you get id advise you to go for an NVidia graphics chip.

tyrot
06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
dear Kstar

An ATI based Notebook is direct suicidal attempts for Lightwave. Not just me but so many others suffered from that ATI logo.

SO do yourself a favor listen Spankdaddy run away from ATI based laptop. I suggest you to get powerful Nvidia Card for good opengl performance.

YOu can upload the RAMs, get additional Firewire / USB2 based harddisks later so do not care about those areas. Harddisk+RAM is easy to upgrade but video card and CPU is all you need. No matter what probably you will attach second monitor to it, so dont be crazy about 17 inch laptops...Save money overthere. Get faster CPU. If it does have a bright screen (packard bell, Nec type of) you can invest on that but I have 20 inches connected to one of my notebooks and i m using its screen just for throwing some panels thats all..

remember if you get ATI even those panels are not showing anything. lets say i have Fujitsu Siemens with ATI video card on it, graph editor is not showing overthere. But with NVIDIA's 6600 you can work on Layout and Modeller at the same time...

Hope it helps...

BEST

cobaltman
06-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Don't buy a sony, Lightwave runs like aboslute crap on my Sony Vaio. It works okay until you flip on Sub-D's and then runs like a turtle.

Thats probably down to the naff ATI chips they use in a lot of the sony machines. What ever you get id advise you to go for an NVidia graphics chip.

I own an ATI card on my computer and the sub-Ds don't slow mine down. Maybe it's because my card is a PCI-X card. Can't remember the model, but it is an All-In-Wonder card. It's video capture software isn't too "wonderous", though (cough, cough). I was thinking of putting my Hauppauge video card in since it is better at video, but I don't think it has openGL abilities.

The Nividia guys were never good at video capture, either, especially when dealing with worn-out VHS tapes. I could use good OGL, though, so I will probably try getting one.

I can't use my old N card because it is AGP and my new computer uses PCI Express. Any suggestions for PCI-X cards?