PDA

View Full Version : Output for Film

AJGoodwin
06-12-2006, 11:38 PM
We are running into an issue with rendered images in a film we are working on. The PSD32 output is getting damaged when it is put on to DVD. It all loks fine when it is in Shake and the still frames are fine too.

After discussing this with the editor, I was informed that 16bit is standard for film. So in order to fix this I need to output Images in some stable 16bit format so that the color depth is consistent.

Conversions from 32bit and 24bit to 16 in Photoshop have failed, and have a layering effect that is not acceptable. If anyone knows a plugin and or pre-existing way to do this; I would be greatful for the knowledge.

Thanks
-AJ Goodwin

AJGoodwin
06-22-2006, 11:54 AM
OK since this has not recieved an answers I am guessing I am either nuts or this is way over everyone's head. So this will be the last time I make a post here and hope that someone at least answers it to some extent.

Is it even possible, and if not in LightWave - is there any software that can do it frame by frame for the best quality. And not Photoshop does not do it well, at least not from my testing unless someone knows a way that I do not.

-Thanks

Lightwolf
06-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Why are you using PSD, do you need the layers or are you just using the saver in the output panel?

I'd recommend openEXR if you run the windows 32bit version of LW. http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1817

Other than that I'd recommend the SGI 64(with alhpa)/48(no alpha) bit options, the files endup being huge but they can be loaded by almost anything.

Also, fyi, PSD32 is an 8 bit per channel saver (Red, Green, Blue and Alpha), your editor surely meant 16bit per channel - not for all channels combined.

The most common format for film is DPX or Cineon (10bit per channel), but I'd only use them as a final output format after compositing.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Sorry, I must've missed your first post.

AJGoodwin
06-22-2006, 10:23 PM
that helps a lot. I think there are options that I can try now that might fix the issue. If for some reason it does not get me anywhere I may drop a private Newtek Email to you.

Thanks for catching it the second time.

Lightwolf
06-23-2006, 02:31 AM
that helps a lot. I think there are options that I can try now that might fix the issue. If for some reason it does not get me anywhere I may drop a private Newtek Email to you.

Great. And yes, please do so...

Thanks for catching it the second time.
*grin* You're welcome...

Cheers,
Mike

AJGoodwin
06-24-2006, 02:16 AM
I do have one last question... why exactly are the Cineon images coming out far more bright than the actual render? The frame has a general deep brown look to it with deep maroons and reds and rust colors. A foggy dark planet. But the CIN when imported into a view and into Shake - shows up as a medium tone almost bright version. I am not sure why lightwave still sees them as they were rendered and the other programs birghten it, almost autobalance - don't think they are set to.

I thought at first some software may see it as a negative since Cineon is the scanning of such items [I read up] for 2K-4K imaging for plates [which is now a good thing and bad thing to know, higher end images, and langer render times] Storage is not an issue. And time is ok too. But the odd brightness issue is just weird. I had the editor invets the image, as in mod it from a negative to a positive image, i am not sure if that is what needed to be done or not. If there any suggestions on how to fix this issue in Lightwave or out. I am all ears.

LW_Will
06-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Cineon images can be corrected... that means there is more data in the image than you can see... if you are going for a DI, don't bother to correct it now. If you need to correct it, you can use the latest AfterFX version.

I think that the 16bit was a 16bit float, that is 16billion colors... alot closer to film than other formats. OpenEXR is a good format...