PDA

View Full Version : Latest interface design for 9

bgolden
06-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like with every new rev, I'm having to re-learn the interface.

As Lightwave development moves forward, I understand that it is necessary to move things around in order to fit more great features, but it seems that the last few versions have made considerable changes to the interface and each time, I'm having to search for common functions like antialising, global illumination, etc.

Is it possible to settle the interface down so we don't have a learning curve every time a new rev comes out??????

Silkrooster
06-13-2006, 02:25 AM
It is possible to change the layout of the menu to an older version until you are up to speed with the new layout. To do so select edit>edit menu layout or alt-F10, you will find a drop down box called presets, just select an older version there until you are ready.
As for settling down, I doubt it. Every version or almost every version adds new features. Besides no user interface is perfect, it will be updated just to make it easier to use.
The lightwave interface is one of the easiest UI's to customize, so there shouldn't be too much to complain about.
Silk

badllarma
06-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi bgolden,
I think the new interface design was in part down to the beta testers a indervidual from a very big VFX house posted up there design called the "studio" setup.
And everyone love it! :thumbsup: :D so much so Newtek have it as the normal setup for 9. With a bit of exploring and a 3 button mouse you find you have access to everything in the interface.
As Silkrooster says it can be changed of course BUT if you give it a little time you will come to love it I assure you :)

Wickster
06-13-2006, 09:40 AM
hi bgolden,
if you were overwhelmed by the number of buttons and tabs of the studio setup, don't be. all it does is seperate the tools for you to tabs where they belong. do dynamics and fx will be found under dynamics and not utilities. anything you can add or create will be found under the create tab. makes sense don't you think? plus liike everyone said, you'll like the studio setup (and thats not a jedi mind trick).

as for the render globals, diplay setting, global illumination and options. these were combined to find most things you need that are related into one window with multiple tabs. this should eliminate having to open multiple windows.

so say you're ready to render your image. before you have to go to your camera settings > adjust your AA > switch to light properties and open the global illumination window > swith to the render options and turn on raytrace blah blah blahs, save images, render threads and so on.

now just open your render globals > adjust AA > click tab > adjust GI >click tab > turn on RT blah blahs > save image > render...on one window. so you see the logic behind the "one window rules all" thing right? :D

bgolden
06-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks for replies. Appreciate the tips.