PDA

View Full Version : performance hit with layers

calhoontuna
06-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Whenever I am working with several layers in VT edit, the system takes a serious hit, the timeline indicator halting, catching, halting, catching. Impossible to tell what the final product will look like, especially daunting because I'm trying to cut to music.

I think this halting is due to there being seven graphics stacked up in the timeline. I have six png or tga graphics floating above a background image. I turned down the alyer quality settings to low and turned off Image Super-Sampling, but still get the same thing. Any other suggestions?

Brian

tfrank
06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Please list your system specs to help us start helping you.

calhoontuna
06-12-2006, 02:58 PM
VT4.6
Dell
(2) 2.8 gig Xeon processors
2 gigs of ram
Windows XP Professional (pack 2)

Jim Capillo
06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Brian,

What do you have for a RAID (video drives) ?

Start with the easy things....

Make sure your nVidia Manager is off.

Make sure the caches are assigned to the fastest drives (usually the video RAID).

You can always throw a force render under the problem area and wait for the green bar.

I have much the same system as you and have stuttering all the time. Force render usually takes care of it or I render out a single file since I normally do short form commercials.

Jim_C
06-12-2006, 04:11 PM
If you have a nice fast raid for your video work, try turning off background rendering in VT-Edit. See what happens. this will force VT to run on pure proc power and not rely on background rendering.

Depending on the project I am working on, this can speed things up for me immensely.

Kyle Koch
01-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I have tried to do that ... and can't find any switch to totally turn off bg rendering.

I set it to "5 overlays" or "force render" and still I have to wait considerably until it finishes rendering files.

BTW, we are layering 3-8 images per screen and with speed ramps in some frames.

Any suggestions on tweeking performance and not having to wait so long for BG rendering?

Dual Quads with 4x400 raid for the cache is what we are using.

Also of note, the processors never go beyond 40% ... wahdup with that?

dreamvisionmp
01-21-2008, 08:46 AM
What resolution are the images you are working with? Many times images are far higher resolution than the television screen, and far larger than they even need to be for pan and scan type moves. 5 or more layers is definitely pushing it, and I've had the same experiences you have had on a system with similar specs. Reducing the resolution of the images to the minimum you need is the only other approach I can think of at the moment to reduce the load on the system. As for the CPU usage, I'm not sure. I've had similar odd experiences with LiveSets glitching like crazy even with only 65% CPU usage.

Kyle Koch
01-21-2008, 10:52 AM
What resolution are the images you are working with? Many times images are far higher resolution than the television screen, and far larger than they even need to be for pan and scan type moves. 5 or more layers is definitely pushing it, ... Reducing the resolution of the images to the minimum you need is the only other approach I can think of at the moment to reduce the load on the system...

Thanks for getting back ...

I just discovered that the ones that are mostly choking are 2048 60i HD sources. Possibly having drive throughput problems (6 Drive internal Raid), but I doubt it. The M2t seem to do okay until I set the speed at 300% (with other layers). I did a test-render of a 2048 60i HD source converted to the :vticon: NewtekHQ 422 codec; I can get 5 layers with one playing at 500% without any hiccups.

Rendering each HD file to the NewtekHQ codec would be fine ... if there was a batch render solution within Speededit VT5.

Cheers,

Kyle