PDA

View Full Version : Using HD with a VT4

Lew
06-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Anyone using a JVC GY-HD 100 for a source? If so, what mode are you shooting in, and what's your work flow? I'm think about purchasing this camera, but I don't quite understand how to maximize it's features with my
VT4. Any good words of advice?
Lew

kleima
06-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, I am. I shoot in HD, capture in HD, with Cineform's Connect HD, and then edit in VT[4]. VT[4] doesn't do HD yet, but it will read the Connect HD AVI files and automatically scale them to SD size. All the HD data is still there in the SD scaled clips, so it slows down edit, and doesn't really play well in real time without stuttering. But it works. And as soon as VT[5] comes out my project will be fully HD. Also if you want to pan or scan or zoom the HD clips you just go to the Control Tree and resize the image that was sized smaller automatically.

As soon as VT[5] comes out I will just capture HD directly in VT and ditch the Connect HD.

Oh, BTW, then when I am finished the edit, I render to a new fully SD clip so that I can record the final project to DVD.

Lew
06-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks Kieima,
That's exactly what I needed to know. Will probably follow a similar flow.
If you capture on tape, can you output SD from the camera (composit)? The tape would still have the HD if needed with the downside of re-capturing later if necessary. I sometimes do fairly long projects and a HD slowdown would be a major problem.
By the way, are you using 24P or 30P?

kleima
06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes it will output SD from the camera, but the manual states that the SD output is for monitoring on an SD monitor rather than edit quality conversion. So, I never tried that. But, it might be acceptable.

I am using 30p, because my projects will end up on DVD.

Lew
06-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Yes it will output SD from the camera, but the manual states that the SD output is for monitoring on an SD monitor rather than edit quality conversion. So, I never tried that. But, it might be acceptable.

You might be right, but with that disclaimer, I doubt I will like it.

Is kleima the only one out there with the HD100U?
Lew

kleima
06-13-2006, 09:55 PM
I believe I have seen other posts here by people who have the camera.

Do you have more questions? or are you just looking for a second opinion?

Lew
06-14-2006, 06:36 AM
Yeah, just wanted to see if anyone was using the SD output from the camera, and what the quality was like.

About to plunk down a fair chunk of change for this thing, so guess I was looking for some reassurance that people were using it and doing well.

No offense intended kleima.

PIZAZZ
06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
About to plunk down a fair chunk of change for this thing, so guess I was looking for some reassurance that people were using it and doing well.

Lew have you considered the Sony Z1U? the 12X lens is the largest issue I have with it. Other than that the output is very good in either HD or SD. We have several systems deployed with clients that use the VT with the Z1Us feeding in 480i downconverted HD material.

Another option would be the new Canon H1 camera too. SD or HD-SDI output along with a 20X lens is pretty cool. That of course comes at a higher price tag but it would also help you future as much as possible your setup.

Keep in mind that a SDI breakout box is on the way from Newtek if you are worried about switching SDI inputs. :)

Let me know if I can help you source any of this gear.

kleima
06-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Oh, no, I wasn't offended! Just thought maybe I could help out. Maybe I can try out the downconversion for you, so you know what it is like. I've only had the camera for about two months, so haven't tried everything out yet.
The reason I got this camera was for the interchangeable lenses (and price/quality/features point). I needed to have a built-in doubler on the lens. No other camera had that capability. The Canon has interchangeable lenses, but they are proprietary, and Canon hasn't made any optional lenses yet. And I doubt they will ever make one for that camera with built-in doubler. Plus, the Canon is about $3K more.
The JVC is one awesome machine!

Lew
06-15-2006, 10:10 AM
The reason I got this camera was for the interchangeable lenses (and price/quality/features point). The Canon has interchangeable lenses, but they are proprietary, and Canon hasn't made any optional lenses yet. Plus, the Canon is about $3K more.
The JVC is one awesome machine!

Understand, went through the same thought process, and I wanted the interchangable lens option, I have a good 1/3 inch Fuj. from another camera that will give me the wide angle option.
Have it ordered, waiting on the doorstep for the brown truck.
The free AB battery package didn't hurt anything either.
Lew

mhankins
06-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Is kleima the only one out there with the HD100U?

I've got three of them GY-HD101 (pal version). I am using them for OB work (etc..) and LOVING THEM! They have been nothing but great, the amount of control you have with them inside the camera is awesome. I have picked up a few patches the will recreate the look of BetaSX cams to Panny's to many high dollar cameras. I am switching SD thru a VT4.5 rig but would love to see a end to end HD progressive workflow. Maybe VT5?
Marty