PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.3 Layout Crashes when Calculating FX

THREEL
06-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Fellow LWvers. I have a problem. Do you have a solution?

Scenario: I have built objects that represent a Lollipop, complete with stick, and a thin box that is sub-patched for the wrapper. The very outside edges have a sub-patch weight of 100% to make it look square.

After I bring these objects into Layout, I setup the dynamics for each object in its own individual property dialog box. I have ClothFX for the wrapper, Collision for the lollipop top (with raduis), Collision for a null object (with radius) that represents the lollipop center, and a Wind Emitter. All of these have their properties set correctly, I think!?

With keyframes, I drop the wrapper down over the top of the lollipop, and that works fine when I hit the play button. The lollipop just goes right through the wrapper. But, as soon as I "rewind" back to Frame 0, go to one of the objects Dynamics Tab, and click on Calculate to "drape" the wrapper over the lollipop, the Frame marker moves forward to Frame 1, and Layout crashes.:( I've tried this several times with different settings, and I always get the same results.

Does it matter if my "wrapper" object has three different surfaces (Face, Back, and Sides)? Am I doing something incorrectly, or is this a LW 8.3 Layout issue?

Any and all info on this subject will be greatly appreciated!:)

THREEL (AL)

HowardM
06-12-2006, 05:34 AM
why arent you usign 8.5?
8.3 is buggy... if you want email me your scene and I can try it out...

THREEL
06-12-2006, 02:21 PM
why arent you usign 8.5?
8.3 is buggy... if you want email me your scene and I can try it out...
Hello Howard,

That's a good question.:D I was going to update at one time, but it seems to me it was a big download, and I don't have a high speed connection. I was in the middle of a project at the time, and then I forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I'll get updated to LW v8.5, give it another go, and let you know my results. If it doesn't work for me then, I'll send it your way and see what you can figure out.

Thanks for everything!:)

THREEL (AL)

THREEL
06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Howard,

Please, read previous post, if you haven't already. It's me again. Now, I know why I haven't upgraded to v8.5 yet. According to Newtek, my video card isn't supported by this version. I have an ATI 9000 All-In-Wonder. I'm looking into an FX5200 series, so I'll keep you posted. When I get a chance, I'll send my scene to you an let you see what you can come up with.

Thanks! THREEL

HowardM
06-12-2006, 02:58 PM
hmmm i doubt LW wont work, maybe theres a few opengl glitches, doubt even that.... so get 8.5 if you can :D

ChrisPitts
06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
We don't recommend or deny support for any cards in particular, although customers have had complaints about ATI's OpenGL in the past. Either way, 8.5 shouldn't run any worse or better than 8.3, with regards to OpenGL, and 8.5 has a ton of good stuff that may help you.

As for your original problem, try running through this short tutorial, to make sure all your plugins are scanned properly:

http://www.newtek.com/faq/index.php?tree=true&category=75

If that doesn't work, send an E-mail with your scene and objects to [email protected], attn: Chris

Thanks

-Chris
NewTek Technical Support Analyst

THREEL
06-14-2006, 10:50 AM
We don't recommend or deny support for any cards in particular, although customers have had complaints about ATI's OpenGL in the past. Either way, 8.5 shouldn't run any worse or better than 8.3, with regards to OpenGL, and 8.5 has a ton of good stuff that may help you.

As for your original problem, try running through this short tutorial, to make sure all your plugins are scanned properly:

http://www.newtek.com/faq/index.php?tree=true&category=75

If that doesn't work, send an E-mail with your scene and objects to [email protected], attn: Chris

Thanks

-Chris
NewTek Technical Support Analyst

Hi Howard & Chris,

Thanks for the info. As far as video cards go, I was only going by what Newtek gave as minimum and/or recommended requirements for video cards for LW 8.5, and according to these printed requirements, I didn't have enough video card to update to 8.5. I only have an ATI all-in-wonder 9000. After receiving a post from Howard, though, I gave her a go and updated anyway. As of right now, I'm updated to 8.5, and it seems to be performing alright.:thumbsup:

I'm still having problems with Layout crashing when I try to calculate a ClothFX and Collision scene, however.:thumbsdow There must be something I'm not doing quite right.:D I'm going to give the tutorial a try and let you know the results. If, by chance, I cannot figure it out from the tutorial, I'll send my scene and object your way and see what you come up with.

Thanks for all your help!:) THREEL (AL)

THREEL
06-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi fellow LWvers,

I'm enclosing 2 scenes with objects, but no images, in hopes that someone can help me figure out my Cloth FX dilemma. I'm sure there's something I'm missing or that I've done wrong. I do know it takes forever, proverbally, to calculate. I know that can be caused by high polygon count, but I even lowered the count and it still seems to take an eternity. I've put in values that are close to what a fellow LWver showed me in a sample that they made for me, but mine does not react the same way theirs did. In one scene a flat plane represents the wrapper and in the other a thin box represents the wrapper. I'd rather use the thin box version, because the real wrappers have different fronts and backs. If more info is required, please ask, and I'll share what I can.

Thanks in advance!:) THREEL (AL)

HowardM
06-14-2006, 05:58 PM
hmm well it seems youre kinda going about it the wrong way, but here is a better way to get there. use a flat plane to calculate on and a MetaLinked solid if you need the 2 sides. it will calculate faster and work better.

...not exactly sure what youre going for, but youre fooling yourself if you think you can get clothfx to perfectly fall and wrap around an object without much work and/or pain... ;)

what do you want to exactly do?

If its wrap around and twist at the end, then perhaps a better way to do this would be a combination of clothfx, morphs or bones?
Maybe calculate to a point, then save transformed, and morph or bone the rest of the wrap/twist?
Or perhaps model the wrapper already wrapped/twisted and reverse animate it opening with bones or morphs or cloth, then reverse the final animation?

THREEL
06-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Actually, my main concern was to get Layout to stop crashing when I was calculating a ClothFX/CollisionFX situation. I think updating to LW v8.5 seemed to help somewhat, but it still doesn't like doing a thin box as compared to calculating a flat plane.

If you look at my thread that I posted in Techniques, Tricks, etc..., you'll see that I decided to go with endomorphs to "fold" the wrapper around the lollipop. I used 8 stages of endomorphs to accomplish the desired effect.

I still would like to figure out the "numbers" to get the wrapper to drape, because I would like to have it fall over another thin box shaped object, like a shirt or pair of pants would be draped over a changing screen. I need to have the wrapper as a thin box instead of a flat plane, because the wrapper has an image on the front and a plain white background on the back, unless someone can tell me how to get two different surfaces on the front and back of a doublesided object.

I have yet to try your metalinked idea, but hope to be giving it a try shortly.

Thanks again forsharing your LW knowledge!:thumbsup:

THREEL (AL):)

HowardM
06-15-2006, 11:19 AM
well load the scene i posted ;)

THREEL
06-17-2006, 06:33 AM
well load the scene i posted ;)

I loaded your scene, calculated, and it looked pretty good:thumbsup: , but when I tried it using my flat plane object as the ClothFX calculation, and Metalinked the thin box version of the wrapper to it, the thin box version reacted very strangely.:thumbsdow I tried different angles and locations for the Metalinked version, but it didn't seem to matter. Also, I thought the thin box version might have too low of a polygon count, so I sub-patched it and froze it, and it still acted the same way.:stumped:

I'm sure I'm probably still doing something not quite right, I just don't know what it may be.:D Also, I noticed when I ran the actual calculation on your vesion, and then run play, the flat plane dissappears. I didn't see any dissolve any where, so I'm wondering where your calculating version goes in this instance.

Once again, thanks for all your help!:)

THREEL (AL)