PDA

View Full Version : Cloth FX in LW9 questions

adrencg
06-11-2006, 09:00 PM
can someome please give me a glimmer of hope that LW9's ClothFX doesn't hang Layout up every other time you try to calculate? Is it faster and does it actually make it through a complex calculation without having to cross fingers and pray that it works?

THREEL
06-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey there adrencg,

I just posted a new thread about LW Layout 8.3 crashing every time I try to calculate a ClothFX scenario at about 11:10 pm EDT in LW-General Support. No joke!:D

If someone gives you some positive feedback, would you, please, send the info my way?

Thanks a bunch!:)

THREEL (AL)

Greenlaw
06-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi,

Try using the FX Browser's Start button instead of the Calculate button in Object Properties. Sometimes when I get consistant crashing, the Start button works more reliably than the Calculate button. You may also want to try calculating with a different item selected, like a collision object (if you have one in the scene.) I'm not sure why this works but sometimes it does.

If you have multiple cloth objects, you may want to try breaking the elements in to separate 'Calculation' scene that have all objects not necessary for the calculation removed. Simplifying the scene can not only make calculations more stable, they should calculate much faster. You can import the .mdd to your master scene after saving the data out from each 'Calc' scene.

Also, I really like using Colin Cohen's FastCloth plug-in to set up a low-res cage where I can. This helps you to cheat some very complex effects while gaining in stability and speed. Even if you don't use FastCloth, you should use LightWave's MetaLink plug-in where you can. This is a huge timesaver, and in many situations, the most practical way to use ClothFX.

Hope this info helps.

DRG

Greenlaw
06-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi,

BTW, why are you still using 8.3? The update to 8.5 is free for downloading, and ClothFX may be more stable in it. Just a suggestion.

Best,

DRG

erikals
06-12-2006, 07:05 AM
From what I remember using "Start" in FX Browser actually calculates faster than when hitting "Calculate", also read like Greenlaw said it was more stable.

adrencg
06-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi,

Try using the FX Browser's Start button instead of the Calculate button in Object Properties. Sometimes when I get consistant crashing, the Start button works more reliably than the Calculate button. You may also want to try calculating with a different item selected, like a collision object (if you have one in the scene.) I'm not sure why this works but sometimes it does.

If you have multiple cloth objects, you may want to try breaking the elements in to separate 'Calculation' scene that have all objects not necessary for the calculation removed. Simplifying the scene can not only make calculations more stable, they should calculate much faster. You can import the .mdd to your master scene after saving the data out from each 'Calc' scene.

Also, I really like using Colin Cohen's FastCloth plug-in to set up a low-res cage where I can. This helps you to cheat some very complex effects while gaining in stability and speed. Even if you don't use FastCloth, you should use LightWave's MetaLink plug-in where you can. This is a huge timesaver, and in many situations, the most practical way to use ClothFX.

Hope this info helps.

DRG

I use SHMDerez frequently to make cages(with Metalink), and I usually have the collision object selected. I didn't know about using the Start button instead of Calculate...that's weird, but I'll try it.

Dodgy
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Going through the start button has a different program flow I believe, which has been built for switching between programs and better reliability.