PDA

View Full Version : huge render - not rendering?!?!?!?!

KillMe
06-11-2006, 05:07 PM
i'm trying to render out an image for putting on a snowboard and need it a minimum of 2600x14000 but i get a "not enough memory for frame buffers" error message when i try and start the render

now thinking to myself ok i'll set the segment memory limit abit higher and i gave it 1800mb and still nto working ok i thought to myself maybe i should try smaller segemtsn to give it more small areas to think over and reduced it down to 32 and i still get the same error

how do people working in high resoultions overcome this? do i really need to install winxp 64 and buy some more ram? - gotta be a solution :help:

Meaty
06-11-2006, 05:27 PM
KillMe - I had the same problem at my last job on a computer with PLENTY of system resources. Actually I had it on several computers with PLENTY of system resources. Moving back to v8.0 solved the problem 8/

You may not be having the same problem though. Try rendering a tiny portion of it with "limited region no border". If you get the "not enough memory for frame buffers" error no matter how small your region is, then you are probably expierencing the same bug I was which I had to revert to v8.0 to fix. If it starts rendering a reasonably sized chunk, then that will be your solution, limited region, one region at a time.

KillMe
06-11-2006, 05:33 PM
but i'm using nodes :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Exception
06-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Just render with limited region -no border, a set of renders. That should solve it. Try with a quarter first...
In fact there's some tools on flay which will automatically slice a scene up into four scenes, so you can feed them to a render farm...

KillMe
06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
nope the limited region isn't working no mater how small i make the segment it still doesn't render - same error

and the tool for slicing up doesn't work either =/ lw really should be able to slice the scene up itself anyway and render in 1

robk
06-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Heck! I have problems with 6000x4000 pixel images all the time. I wouldn't even try something the size you are rendering. If you check the Task Manager in windows how much ram are you using and how much is free?
Size of renders in Lightwave have always been a frustration for me. I think you have to go the XP 64 and lightwave 64 route if you want larger renders. Mind you on another post last week someone said they where using XP 64 and still using LW32 and getting larger renders out of it. I have 4 Gigs on my computer but XP32 will only address 2 gb when using XP 32 bit operating system.

I might try that limited region trick on my render farm though.

Meaty
06-12-2006, 08:56 AM
nope the limited region isn't working no mater how small i make the segment it still doesn't render - same error

and the tool for slicing up doesn't work either =/ lw really should be able to slice the scene up itself anyway and render in 1

ack! sorry mate. I don't know what to tell you. It seems like that bug from 8.5 is still there in v9 :compbeati

Would be nice if layout could automatically determine the optimal region setup based on machine resources and render all the regions sequentially.

:goodluck:

wavk
06-12-2006, 09:00 AM
u should set the segment memory limit smaller instead of larger to get 'larger' files out of lw...
but still rendering big pics sucks *** in lw.

quote "In fact there's some tools on flay which will automatically slice a scene up into four scenes, so you can feed them to a render farm..."

ehm, which one? prefferably one that does not crash... ;)

mlon

ChrisPitts
06-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Wavk is correct. You should lower the segment memory limit to 32, 16, or even 8 or lower, if that's what it takes to get the scene to render. If you still find problems getting it to render, then it's probably just a limit of 32-bit when it comes to RAM.

Also, 64-bit systems allow for slightly larger renders running 32-bit Lightwave, because while 32-bit windows can only recognize 2 GB of ram, for both OS and other programs, a 64-bit system can allocate a full 2 GB of ram to any 32-bit program it's running, provided it has enough left over to perform its own OS tasks.