PDA

View Full Version : Fading CG pages

skyytv
06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Hello,

Is it possible to fade (or dissolve) in between CG pages? I've designed a crawl, a lower third and a logo using VT4's Character Generator. I've created them on seperate pages and put the output on the DSK. My problem is that I would like to dissolve in between the pages instead of the "quick cut" that happens when I use the mouse to change pages in realtime on air.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Lara
06-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Yes, it's possible.
On the lower corners of each clip on the timeline, place the cursor on the corner and when it changes to show 'Fd' (fade), drag it inward. This allows you to fade the overlay in and out. To cross-fade to another, just overlap them

animlab
06-11-2006, 11:11 PM
For live job, you have to use fade DSK feature.

Set DSK source to CG
Select CG page 1, Fade DSK (hotkey f, CG fade in), Fade DSK (hotkey f, CD fade Out).
Select CF page 2, Fade DSK (in), Fade DSK (Out).
.... and so on

animlab
06-11-2006, 11:13 PM
The problem is CG Dsigner or CG player do not have a "cue" feature. If you are doing crawling or scrolling pages, you need to operate them by hand.

skyytv
06-12-2006, 03:42 AM
Let me be a bit more specific...

I'm creating my title using the CG Designer. I have about 20 pages. One page has a lower third, a crawl and a logo. The second page has the same crawl and a logo but no lower third. Now when I click my first page, I should see my lower third, crawl and logo (when assigned to DSK). Now what I want to do is click on the second page so that the lower third disappears but instead of it disappearing so quickly, I would like it to fade away while keeping the crawl and the logo on the screen. How possible is that?

If VT[4] had multiple DSKs, it wouldn't be that much of a problem b'cos I could put the crawl and the logo on one DSK and the lower third on a second DSK and fade in and out accordingly.

billmi
06-12-2006, 06:49 AM
If I understand correctly what you are asking, I don't know a way to do this in VT[4].

It sounds to me like you are asking about using this in Switcher, and Paul's reply saying it could be done was referring to how to do it in VT Edit.

On the upside, since you bought VT[4] this spring, you are getting VT[5] when it ships, and VT[5] will have 2 DSKs. Hopefully they will be able to cross-fade as well as individually fade. Even if they don't have a cross fader, it would be a snap to write a toaster script to fade one out while the other fades in, creating a cross fade.

joseburgos
06-12-2006, 07:24 AM
If you lay out the CG Pages in VT Edit with the timmimg and fading you want and then DSK VT Edit and press play on VT Edit, it would do all you want.
If the timming is known in advance only.

Take care,
Jose Burgos

joseburgos
06-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Oh and if you save the project and then load the project into a DDR, you would select the DDR with the project as the DSK source.
Enable CUE on it's DDR and then Fade DSK to automate the whole process.
Much better than going back and forth to press play on the VT Edit Time line.

Jose Burgos

skyytv
06-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I guess I have to wait for VT[5]. But where can I download VT scripts?

billmi
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
If you lay out the CG Pages in VT Edit with the timmimg and fading you want and then DSK VT Edit and press play on VT Edit, it would do all you want.
If the timming is known in advance only.

Take care,
Jose Burgos

That totally makes sense, and makes sense of why Paul would say to set up the fades in VTEdit.

billmi
06-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I guess I have to wait for VT[5]. But where can I download VT scripts?

Check through the VT Script part of the forum. There are quite a few scripts there, as well as the latest documentation for VT Script.

pmisisco
06-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Sure would love to have a sequencer for the CG designer, a la the playback sequencer on Deko or Duet CG's... As mentioned by the thread author - a way to stack up a few pages and transition between them (preferably using the DVE's) without having to make a project out of things. I agree. :)

Jim_C
06-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Sure would love to have a sequencer for the CG designer, a la the playback sequencer on Deko or Duet CG's...

You may like to try using a DDR to play your CG pages.

It is quite powerful in that aspect. Especially if you add the skin which allows you to access the F8 properties panel from within the DDR.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42431

skyytv
06-16-2006, 07:33 AM
You totally understand my problem pmisisco!!!

But I was wondering...

I could create a scrolling CG page and have a live video feed on one page. I could then wipe the lower part of the screen to reveal the scrolling text. Then I could use the DDR for names, titles etc... and still be able to fade in and out. What do you guys think?

skyytv
06-16-2006, 07:49 AM
You totally understand my problem pmisisco!!!

But I was wondering...

I could create a scrolling CG page and have a live video feed on one page. I could then wipe the lower part of the screen to reveal the scrolling text. Then I could use the DDR for names, titles etc... and still be able to fade in and out. What do you guys think?

billmi
06-16-2006, 09:20 AM

Yes, you can do that in VT[4] with no problem at all.

Bring up your live video on the main bus.

Load your background (either a still page, or a looping animated background clip) into a DDR and bring that up on the preview bus.

Create your text crawl so it will appear on the proper part of the screen, and load them into a second DDR. Select that crawl's DDR in the DSK and turn on the DSK.

Pull a compress or wipe DVE part way to reveal the portion of the background image you want to show, and hit play on the DDR, your crawl will start crawling. Or you could use Fade DSK to fade in the crawl already rolling.

That's the way this was done:
http://www.corin.com/wipes/squeezebox_demo2.jpg
The video is rolling, the map and large line of text as well as the background colors are static, and the bottom line of text is crawling from right to left.

You can see it in this demo video:
http://www.corin.com/wipes/squeezebox_demo.wmv

I've put together a set of PIP DVEs specifically for doing this type of CG reveal without the risk of pulling the T-Bar too far or not far enough when revealing the CG page.

To sequence multiple crawl files there are a few approaches you could take.

1 - Do as above, fade out the DSK, delete the crawl from the DDR and load the next crawl then fade the DSK back.

2 - Do as above - fire up a third DDR, and put your next crawl in that. Fade the DSK out, select the new crawl's DDR in the DSK and fade the DSK back in.

3 - Do as Paul suggested, create your crawls not in the CG Designer, but in CG Post for VTEdit. Sequence them as you want to use them, and then save that VT Edit project. Bring up the project in a DDR, and put that on the DSK.

There might also be a way to drop the crawl pages and sequence them in the DDR which would be easiest - the second one would start crawling when the first finished, making the transition between them seamless. You could easily add, update or resequence the crawls while you were live. Unfortunately when I've tried that it overlays them one on top of the other rather than playing them in sequence.

joseburgos
06-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Nice work :)
I little while back I made a lower third squeeze DVE never knowing you had already done so.
Very nice demo wmv.

Tale care,
Jose Burgos

billmi
06-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks Jose.
I guess I should be a little more vocal about letting folks know we have DVE sets available. Mostly I've just been letting it spread by word of mouth.

pmisisco
06-16-2006, 02:37 PM
You may like to try using a DDR to play your CG pages.

It is quite powerful in that aspect. Especially if you add the skin which allows you to access the F8 properties panel from within the DDR.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.